An open letter to all Meraki product managers

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

An open letter to all Meraki product managers

You are destroying the "Meraki Simple" concept with an ever-expanding proliferation of licencing options.  You are starting to re-create the worst aspects of Cisco Enterprise licensing.  It is starting to head towards resellers requiring Meraki licencing experts just to ensure the customer gets the right licencing solution.

You have time.  Stop now.  No more licence types.

#merakisimple

13 REPLIES 13
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I’ll add my signature to that.  It was bad enough explaining the co-term aspect.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just out of curiousity what licensing option are you referring to now?
Is it the SD-WAN license on the MX appliances?

I do prefer the PDL over CO-term due to the flexibility it gives and the inherent problem with the renew dashboard license pitfall when decommissioning older hardware and keeping others.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MR Advanced

MS Enterprise (only available on MS390 so far ...)

MX Advanced Plus (or is that SDWAN Plus?)

Many of the licences enable options that are not even shipping.

Where do I sign on this?

I’m totally with you on this, @PhilipDAth !

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Oh yes, I see what you mean now.

I'd say I agree with the MR advanced and the SD WAN plus.

The SD WAN plus to me looks like Adv. security + Insight.

To this day I still don't know if you have MX + MR where umbrella would be implemented and what license you would need on what device to accomplish this.

The MS Enterprise vs Advanced was kind of expected since that mirrors Essentials and Advantage on the Catalyst line.  In case of the switches I don't really mind because you no longer have the difference between licenses of each individual switch configuration (Non PoE, PoE, UPoE, etc)  only 24 vs 48 ports are important.

I think it's a balance between more features ( which are desperately needed ) and simplicity ( which must be maintained to the highest possible degree ).

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Even the MS licenses are too much, why is there a different cost and license for an MS220-8 and an MS120-8, even a different license for an MS210 and a MS225 isn't really needed or wanted.

cwf
Getting noticed

Add me to the agreed list.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agree!  Feels like we are going down the Sonicwall path....

nscheffer
Getting noticed

Fully agree, keep it simple and for ever...

Roska
A model citizen

Well said @PhilipDAth 

LudwigD
Getting noticed

Me too, I fully agree.

Certainly for domestic use it is quit difficult to follow.

LD

merakichamp
Building a reputation

I hope Meraki Managers  will hear this important feedback...  simplicity has been the magic behind meraki 

RSU21it
Getting noticed

Yes, please.  Stop the license madness now.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.