Voice VLAN

Alfred
Here to help

Voice VLAN

Hello - Please add support for designation of a Voice VLAN to ease deployment of shared VOIP IP phone/ computer workstations. 

I can see in the app it shows a field for Voice VLAN when I designate an Access port. Seems like just the ability to set the global Voice VLAN is missing. 

Thanks!

Alfred

7 REPLIES 7
Alfred
Here to help

For context, I am using Cisco 8845 IP Phones and went with Meraki Go as I was hoping to take advantage of the CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) feature of the GS 110 switches in order to share a single cable between PC and phone with isolated VLANs.

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey @Alfred 

Thank you for the wish. As we don't support Voice VLAN configuration on switch ports as of today, I'm somewhat remiss to the Voice VLAN configuration in the app. What screen are you seeing this on? It shouldn't be there as it will not function as expected.

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Ah... We see it now. I spoke with the team and we're revisiting the possibility of adding voice VLAN configuration on the switch ports.

Hi thanks for taking a look into it. I was seeing it on the port configuration screen after setting a given port on a switch as an access port. Here is a screen grab. It would be of great help if this feature was fully enabled so that I could deploy the phones and PCs in the manner I mentioned above.

Thanks for the help!

Alfredvoice vlan.png

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Noting for posterity that we now fully support Voice VLAN configuration the GX and GS series products offered by Meraki Go.

Thank you for sharing this good news! I checked the documents (Configuring VLANs in Meraki Go - https://documentation.meraki.com/Go/Features/Configuring_VLANs_in_Meraki_Go & Meraki Go - Wired Networks (VLANs) - https://documentation.meraki.com/Go/Features/Meraki_Go_-_Wired_Networks_(VLANs) ), but couldn't find the updated details about how to configure the Voice VLAN on GX and GS devices.

Would you please share more details about the Voice VLAN configuration on GX and GS? Thank you very much!

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello @David-L - good call out on our documentation. I need to go get it updated to include this.

After a bit of digging there were technical obstacles to including a voice vlan config on the GX, so this is a GS only feature. I'll make sure that our documentation also reflects that as well, to remove the confusion.

Hardware -> Switch -> Switch Ports -> Choose a port -> Settings -> Adv. Settings

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 5.36.25 PM.png

Finally, to somewhat offset the loss of the voice vlan config for the GX, we do support DHCP options on the GX product now (so those already using voice vlans downstream can start using DHCP options).

You can use the preset options we have built in, or use custom ones:

Networks -> [Wired network] -> Settings -> Enable/Disable DHCP server

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 5.37.27 PM.png