VLANs

SOLVED
DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

VLANs

VLANs would help maintain PCI compliance in small business where they have multiple devices plugged into the firewall or switch along with a card reader. 

For this use case, since card readers do not typically support VLANs, the ports on the firewall or switch should be able to add and remove the tag as necessary.   Also this use case would benefit by blocking all traffic between VLANs.

Dave Anderson
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DHAnderson @Roska @olavrb @datagen24 

2.14.1 was just released last week but we were able to expedite the release of 2.15.0 which is now available for iOS and Android. This release allows for configurable VLANs on individual GS110 switch ports. 

Release notes:

- VLANs can now be configured on individual GS switch ports
- General bug fixes and stability improvements

James Wilson
Cisco Meraki

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Roska
A model citizen

I agree, +1 on this.

JamesMW
Meraki Go Team
Meraki Go Team

@DHAnderson & @Roska - VLAN support has now been released in the latest version of the Meraki Go mobile app.

James Wilson
Cisco Meraki

Screenshot_20191223-213719.png

 When I tried to save the VLan, I got an error saying that VLans were not supported, so I couldn't save it.

Dave Anderson

I tried creating a VLAN again today, and it worked!

I'm not sure if it was a firmware update (no way to see firmware version), or a reboot of the access point (I had to move it to another location).

- Dave

Dave Anderson

This is the first time I am getting time to play with my full stack of Meraki Go equipment in a while.

I set up a VLAN on a test SSID today.  When I try to connect to that SSID, I cannot get an IP Address.  I cannot see anywhere to add another DHCP pool for the VLAN, or apply the VLAN to a port on.my switch or firewall.

What am I missing?

- Dave

Dave Anderson

I cant figure this out either. I think it was partial implemented only in the AP side of the stack. but the switch side and the GX do not seams to have any config options....

Meraki mind chiming in here?

When I made my post, I got a PM from the Meraki Go team that it was coming.

I haven't heard much since.  I want to bring this product to small clients who have payment terminals, but I can't as PCI calls for separation of payment terminal traffic from all other traffic.  VLANs are the way to accomplish this.

Dave Anderson

Would also like more info and documentation about VLAN.

On the product page of GS110 it says that 802.1Q VLAN tagging and trunking is supported, but I can't find any documentation regarding how to set that up on the switch itself.

In the app I can only find VLAN settings for a SSID if network mode is set to bridged. But can't find any VLAN related settings for the switch.

@DHAnderson 

Your screenshot from the app regarding VLAN settings: Thats on a Wifi / SSID right? I could not find any VLAN settings on the switch itself in the app.

DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

That is right.

I cannot find any VLAN information on my switch or firewall either.
Dave Anderson

@Roska @DHAnderson @olavrb @datagen24 - 

VLAN configurability is not yet enabled in the Meraki Go mobile app for GS or GX (only GS via SSID tagging, GS & GX are fully automated on backend) but we are working to deliver full VLAN configurability across all GR, GS, and GX products ASAP. I will keep this thread updated as we progress towards a definitive release date. 

Thanks to each of you for your feedback!

James Wilson
Cisco Meraki

@Roska @DHAnderson @olavrb @datagen24 - 

Coming in release 2.15.0 the ability to tag VLANs on the GS110 will be available.

At the time of this release, VLAN tagging will be enabled on the Meraki Go GS110 network switches as well as both the GR10 & GR60 access points.

VLAN configurability on the GX20 will NOT be included in this release but updates around this feature request will be announced soon so stay tuned!

James Wilson
Cisco Meraki
olavrb
Getting noticed

@JamesMW

Any ETA for app v2.15.0? Been three weeks now since the "announcement".
DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

I have heard that 2.15 was targeted for this week.

Dave Anderson

@DHAnderson @Roska @olavrb @datagen24 

2.14.1 was just released last week but we were able to expedite the release of 2.15.0 which is now available for iOS and Android. This release allows for configurable VLANs on individual GS110 switch ports. 

Release notes:

- VLANs can now be configured on individual GS switch ports

James Wilson
Cisco Meraki

Looks great! Data and Voice for Access ports, and multiple VLANs for Trunk ports!

Good job!
Dave Anderson

Hello - wondering if you are using a voip phone as a switch to pass along ethernet to the adjacent PC? If so, how are you instructing the phone to use one VLAN, and the PC to use the other?

Thanks!

@JamesMW Will the GX20 VLAN configuration be enabled in the next release? It looks like Meraki is on a 2 week sprint cycle which puts the next update this week (if I'm guessing correctly). 

Any sight of GX20 VLANS yet?

The two week cycle is long gone

I just went into my Meraki Go app and the GX now supports VLANS!  My app is version 2.22.0, build 472 Rev 0db88caf

- Dave

Dave Anderson

@datagen24 @olavrb @Al_S @LowCloud @DHAnderson @Roska - 

Configurable VLANs are now available on GX with the release of 2.21.0 to iOS and Android.

Release notes below: 
- GX security gateways now support VLAN creation!
- New status icon to indicate a meshed access point
- Umbrella expiration date is now visible in the app under settings

With this release VLANs are now available across all Meraki Go devices (GR, GS, GX).

When creating a new VLAN, DHCP will be enabled by default. We will very soon be introducing the ability to configure a new DHCP server in an upcoming release.

James Wilson
Cisco Meraki