cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CONTEST CLOSED] Wi-Fi 6: tell us your hopes and dreams!

Community Manager

MerakiCommunity-Wi-Fi6Contest-01.png

UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your submissions! Our two randomly selected winners are: @Franzman and @nbentsendk. Congratulations!

With the arrival of the next generation of Wi-Fi comes a whole host of new possibilities for your network. You can check @davidvan’s recent blog post for just a few examples!

So, whether it’s the ability to significantly increase the density of clients per network or having the confidence to invite all of those clients to stream Netflix with abandon, we want to know — what are you most excited/hopeful for with the launch of Wi-Fi 6?

How to enter

Tell us your Wi-Fi 6 hopes and dreams in a comment on this blog post before 12:00pm PST on Monday (June 3).

How to win

We'll select two entries at random to win a Cisco Meraki Glass Water Bottle.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190523165545821_COVER.jpeg

The Fine Print

• Limit one entry per community member
  • Submission period: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 11:00am PST through Monday, June 3, 2019 at 11:00am PST
  • Complete rules and eligibility can be found here.
125 Comments
Just browsing

For me, the Wi-Fi 6 is like a 6-speed for the cars. This means low power/gasoline consumption and more speed.

PS: Another additional feature to the Wi-Fi 6 technology like "Power over Wi-Fi 6" could not be bad. Smiley Wink

Conversationalist

In Mexico, what we expect from this new standard is that we achieve better coverage of user density and have the best speeds. especially in very dense areas such as stadiums and entertainment centers. Especially at the Azteca stadium where we could have an opportunity to work with MERAKI in an ambitious coverage and mobility project for the more than 80,000 spectators in a match.

Comes here often

I wish to have major Per-MAC address policies so i can go to my favorite place on Friday afternoons and ask for the WiFi password (wich is always the same, 'youhavetobuyabeerfirst'), buy a beer and ask for the password, same answer!

Building a reputation

As much as I hate to say it, a lot of the benefits will not apply to my current workplace. We don't service many people and even if we did the traffic exits to the internet meaning the AP's will carry far more than our data pipe. I'm hoping the new 2.4Ghz will help clean up the spectrum and limit interference and saturation as that's something I currently see. 802.11ax Opportunistic Wireless Encryption does seem promising though.

Conversationalist

I wish to have:

1. Wifi 6 should have built in smart analytics features for marketing purpose instead in relying on 3rd party vendors like IQwifi or Ant lab. 

2. It should also have a feature to track assets in a map within its range if we use beacons sensors. I.e IT equipment or any imp item that any management want to track.

3. It should also have option to jam others unwanted frequencies to prevent intervention or vulnerable penetration from unknown source  within office premises or wifi range.

Just browsing

I hope that with WiFi 6 we are able to improve the seamless connectivity between physical spaces and digital spaces so we can enhance our engagement, experience and appreciation for the places we go in the world.   

Just browsing

We have entered into the 5G LTE network era. If we can implement secure wireless network with high bandwidth, that would be a strength.

I would love to become an Expert in this product or area.

Conversationalist

Wireless Desktop. Definitely want to see wireless desktop

Conversationalist

Higher client density, lower AP density! 

Kind of a big deal

More throughput!!!!!

The only issue what that is the increased costs as WAP now requires switches with 10Gbe ports.

Here to help

My hope and wish are to see the more scalability and efficiency in this version. My big wish will be to see more security and speed. 🙂

Here to help

This could be the next IPv6!!!  If you didn't pick up on my cacophony of sarcasm, there, allow me to elaborate.

Every one of us knows the benefits of BSF (Better, Stronger, Faster) but are they really (better, that is)?  Betamax was a far (and I mean WAYYYYY far) superior technology to VHS but where do you see Betamax players these days except museums and scrap heaps? 

Mac has always been a superior operating system compared to Windows but which manufacturer holds the greater market share? 

What about IPv6 as I mentioned?  Superior to v4?  Absolutely!  I did the math and figured out that, if it was possible, every person on the planet could have an IPv6 address assigned to each individual cell in their body...and there would STILL be billions of addresses left.  But where is v6 now?  Really, nowhere.  v4 is still sucking wind and still not wanting to die.  Sure there were some early adopters who are reaping the benefits of low address ranges but it never quite caught on the way, I think, ICANN wanted.  And don't get me started on routing.

My point is that in some cases, superior technology doesn't get adopted, at least not in the throng of pomp and circumstance that the originators hope for.  I like the fact that WiFi6 promises fewer bottlenecks and increased individual user performance compared to v5.  I like the fact that it tells your radio to shut up when it's not needed, thereby increasing battery life.  I like all of these things but unlike those early pioneers, I'll shift into "wait-n-see" mode and then gingerly step over the arrow-ridden corpses once the dust has settled.  Morbid, I know but I have no urge to go after the "bleeding edge".  My hat is off to those who do!

Conversationalist

Whoohoo surfing through space on a wifi6 board! I like the waves already. 😃

Conversationalist

Encryption for open WiFi! It's about time! go go OWE!

Comes here often

I hope for fewer AP's, more robust density, and more stability for wireless peripherals in the hospitality industry. Wireless printers for kitchens, POS systems, Streaming TV, Reservation Systems, and VOIP.

Getting noticed

Curious to see how it will affect the amount of AP deployed in a high-density environment. Also want to see how BSS Coloring is going to be utilized by the different manufacturers. Most of the explanations aren't satisfying.

New here

To be able to service pension home and campus in wifi6 😛

Just browsing

Required WPA3 will be nice!

Here to help

WiFi 6 is the first major technology upgrade for wifi since .11n. It will change the way we transact business over RF by taking an antiquated modulation and timing technology and transitioning to a cellular grade network offering exponentially more bandwidth and reliability and empowering next generation solutions like virtual and augmented reality.

Comes here often

Just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftrZM3znTQ4&t=159s, seems very interesting and exciting new Wireless functionality!

Also looking forward to how this technology will handle attenuation.