MR33 - Group Policy blocking entire URL domain?

Dmel74
New here

MR33 - Group Policy blocking entire URL domain?

So I have setup a group policy for my children not to be able to access things like reddit.com, redd.it, youtube.com and several others (in addition to some of the built-in groups of things like GAMING).

What I have noticed lately is that I still see traffic from time to time for things like 'v.redd.it' and 'preview.redd.it'

I work as a network engineer, so I get that sometimes a firewall needs exact FQDN to block. Is that what is required for Meraki L7 policy? I need to put each possible subdomain to block, not just the 'top level' domain?

I realized just before I wrote this that I can chose YOUTUBE specifically from the 'VIDEO & MUSIC' category so that is covered now. But there are many more specific URLs that are not covered.

2 Replies 2
Sushil
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It seems redd.it, v.redd.it etc redirects to reddit.com. So, if you block HTTP hostname www.reddit.com, it should be able to block all urls.

For example - If i block amazon.com, it will block amazon.com, aws.amazon.com etc. But not amazon.com.au.

If you have MX firewall, you can use content filtering to block URL using patterns as well.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Content_Filtering#Patter...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think you would need to block reddit.com rather than www.reddit.com.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels