Feature Request: Dump state for support analysis

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Feature Request: Dump state for support analysis

I just had a brain wave.  What we need on the local status page is an option to dump a "support package" that can be given to Meraki support when a switch stops working properly.

So lets say your switch stops forwarding packets and can not talk to the Meraki cloud?  Dump a support package using the local status page for later analysis by Meraki Support, so they can find out what is going wrong.  Ideally Meraki Support would have a tool to analysis the "support package" to give them more detailed info, and if necessary, pass over info to developers to give them better insights into potential bugs.

Perhaps if Meraki were really worried about security they could choose to dump the "support package" to the local file system so that when the device next reboots and connects to the cloud the device can automatically upload it.

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just had another brain wave.

Could everyone take my post, go to a switches page in the Dashboard, and then copy and paste it into the "make a wish" function.

If enough people did this the analysis engine might think it is a really good idea (which it is!).

Great Idea @PhilipDAth, I know a few other "Cloud managed" vendors whom also offer the ability to take system dumps. A nice feature. I'm not entirely sure if support is still able to retrieve system dumps after the device comes back online, I.e if it's written to NVAM.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

There must be some kind of persistent storage - because the firmware boots from it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels