Better QA even for the small things!

Welles
Building a reputation

Better QA even for the small things!

I have an MS320-48LP switch, running 8.10 code. It runs nice and quiet. Can hardly be heard. Upgraded to 9.27.  The value on the fan RPM has changed, now the switch can be heard in a quiet room or even 50 feet away.  When doing the initial bootup POST you can hear the fan run full speed, then it drops down. This drop down is the issue I'm having, it is louder than 8.10, when running on 9.x code. 

To make a change like this for a switch that has been running for over year, leads me to think there is a lack of QA testing on the acoustic side, which flows in the second part of detailed QA being done.  If you need to increase air-flow into a product like this, after a year, how thorough is the inital QA testing? 

Also, this switch was just replaced as support could not replicate the issue. Had this same issue with 9.19(also 9.10), support pretty much blew off the issue with it being "beta" code.

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any chance it is related to a change of season and the office temperature has been adjusted?

Welles
Building a reputation

No, temp and humidity have not changed. This is something else going on. Even after downgrading back to 8.10, I have to pull the power for the fan RPM to change. So something is keeping the fan stuck at a certain RPM. 

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Fan changes are definitely being made in the recent 9.X builds. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels