Public Wifi - Security Integrity Tools

RobertB
Conversationalist

Public Wifi - Security Integrity Tools

Hey all!! First post here... likely of many 🙂

I am setting up a wireless network. One meant for our staff and public to use for everyday/public use with no access to our internal network. I have one printer I want accessible from this network (which I have made a firewall exception for already).

I am wondering if you guys have any tools that you recommend that we can use to run against the networks that will give us a decent report of security issues/concerns that we should be aware of before deploying for daily operations.

Thanks to all that might be able to offer a little help and direction!

Robert B

3 Replies 3
Stealth_Network
Getting noticed

Not quite sure what you are asking - tools to go against the wireless network to look for vulnerabilities, or to go against the LAN and Firewall?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not aware of tools for scanning guest networks. How about a simple nmap scan to confirm the firewall is only allowing what is intended?

@PhilipDAth wrote:
I'm not aware of tools for scanning guest networks. How about a simple nmap scan to confirm the firewall is only allowing what is intended?

In my experience, it is also important to ensure that Guests are isolated from each other. Which might not be the case with staff users, so probably better to set up separate SSIDs/VLANs and to use SM to look after the staff's BYODs.

Experience also leads me to suggest that if guest network users are given access to a printer, then that printer should be in a restricted area, as there can be problems if Guest A's printing is picked up by Guest B, if they have to ask a receptionist for their printing, there are less likely to be problems, and free-riders can be dealt with immediately.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels