Wish: Template improvements

Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

Wish: Template improvements

Another feature we would like deals with templates. While I understand that goal of a template is to create a cookie cutter setup that you can apply to each branch, I would love to be able to setup templates where I am able to select what aspect of the configuration I would like templated. For example, I would like Group Policies, Content Filtering, Wireless, and Firewall rules to follow the template, but I would still like to be able to configure individual ports.

Just a thought..

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
9 REPLIES 9
MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

@Mr_IT_GuyI strongly second that! 

Shanec
Here to help

I would love the ability to copy the content filtering! so that we could have uniform rules across our 20+ sites in meraki. instead of copy and pasting every so often to update all.
sauvesean
Here to help

I have over 400 networks.  Content Filtering templates are sorely needed!

sauvesean
Here to help

It's worth mentioning that Cisco DNA Center Intent Based Networking, which could arguably be Cisco being 'Merakified' DOES support fine-grained templates and networks to override individual settings of their templates.

Sad to see this has not been developed yet. I personally made these suggestions at last year's executive summit.
Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

Adding to this thread... 

We would use templates a lot more IF we could also adjust vLANs on the ports without affecting the whole template. I don't think that's too much to ask for, and it would make managing my organization a whole lot easier! And isn't that the point of Meraki.... 😉

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
MarvinV
Comes here often

After using Meraki for a short time I see this feature being a requirement. I started out using templates as they can make life much easier. However the templates take all the flexibility away for basic port level troubleshooting, enabling ports on specific appliances, doing smaller scale upgrades of firmware, etc....So for now I'm afraid I'll have to go back to not using templates until Meraki puts more focus on it. Recently sat with another vendor of a similar product that allows the granular changes needed while still supporting the templates.

JHHyde
Conversationalist

In addition, being able to create templates that either can be downloaded as .xml files (or a variant) and/or cross over Organizations. 

As someone working in mergers and acquisitions moving networks over between Orgs is unbelievably painful. Having complete templates as @Mr_IT_Guy suggests being able to traverse Orgs would make this step a breeze, versus a multi hour process with equally long down times. 

(I put this in the make a wish feature as well)

Stephane_F
Conversationalist

It would be great if we can have Variables in settings.

It would sooooo usefull to deploy subnets in retail wich IPs subnet contain a site number for exemple.

But Variable must be usable in other settings, and when we create a network (it works for bulk creation) we only have to feed variables and it's done.

Actually Subnets must be same or unique, but the MX IP is automatically choose by the dashboard (it would be great to be able to choose the IP like vlan.1 or vlan.254.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.