Meraki Newbie (Switch / Wireless query)

DaltonD
Here to help

Meraki Newbie (Switch / Wireless query)

Hi Guys:  Quick question.  I am soon to start working on a site where we will be inheriting a Meraki Wireless system (6 APs / 2 cameras run off a MS210-24P switch).  

My question is in terms of licensing - will I need Cloud licensing for each device to configure / admin or is there an onsite controller s/w I should be considering to keep costs down?

8 Replies 8
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki is pure cloud-based, there are no on-site controllers. And as a general rule of thumb (yes there are some exceptions like MX-HA), each device needs a license. But the customer really should have known this when they decided to go for Meraki.

Thanks - its a site the client is merging with.  Can device licenses be transferred between organisations or do you have to start afresh?

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

I think these two documentation pages will help you with what you are looking for.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Licensing

Co-Terming is the default license model so everything expires on the same day, but There is a lot of grace period built in and it it makes it so you don't have to keep track of each device and it's license. This is also for active equipment. You can have 100 MX appliances in your inventory, but only 50 licenses. As long as you don't have more than 50 MX appliances applied to networks, you will be in compliance. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/How_to_Request_a_License_Transfer

License transfers are possible, you'll just need to work with support. 

CMNO, CCNA R+S
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Welcome @DaltonD   Each meraki device needs to be unlicensed, if a license expires that device stops working.

Meraki licensing is different to traditional Cisco licensing as not only does it cover support and updates but also the ability to manage. 

I am sure you will enjoy working with Meraki gear, its a learning curve but not a steep one IMHO. If you have a basic understanding of networking you will be fine. The community is always here to help as is support. 

>Each meraki device needs to be unlicensed,

Hehe.  @BlakeRichardson meant to say "licenced".

Thats what happens when checking the community while doing a server upgrade 😬

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I hope the server upgrade fared better... 😈

DaltonD
Here to help

Thanks Lads

🤗

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.