cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your network troubleshooting stories. Win swag!

Community Manager

MerakiCommunity-CommunityChallenge.png

dave-it-guy.png

As an IT professional, you probably spend a lot of time troubleshooting end-user performance issues. CEO can’t get on the network? Applications running slowly? Uh oh…

THIS MONTH’S CHALLENGE: Tell us about a time you used the tools in your Meraki dashboard to troubleshoot end-user performance issues. Pictures and humorous anecdotes are encouraged!

UPDATE: Congratulations to the winners, @geoffbernard and @PacketHauler! Read the announcement of the winners.

How to enter

Tell us your tales of network woes and troubleshooting in a comment on this blog post before 11am PST on Thursday (February 22).  (UPDATE: Submissions are closed!)

How to win

Voting begins at 11am PST on Thursday (February 22), and lasts until 11am PST the following Tuesday (February 27). (UPDATE: VOTING IS CLOSED! Say congrats to the winners!)

We will be selecting 2 winners:

1. The Community Favorite — chosen by you, our Community members. Cast your vote by giving kudos ( kudos-icon.png) to your favorite entries. The entry with the most kudos from community members who aren't Meraki employees will win!
  2. The Meraki Favorite — the entry with the most kudos from Meraki employees will win the Meraki Favorite prize. Feel free to solicit your contacts at Meraki to vote for you. 😉

Good Luck!

The Fine Print

• Limit one entry per community member per Community Challenge contest.
  • Submission period: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 11am PST through Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:59am PST
  • Voting period: Thursday, February 22 at 11am PST through Tuesday, February 27 at 11am PST
  • Prize will be a selection of Meraki swag with value not exceeding USD50.00
  • Official terms, conditions, and eligibility information
28 Comments
Here to help
One of our largest customers is migrating from traditional Cisco to Cisco Meraki. Meraki has allowed teach the NOC a given skill set using the dashboard. The dashboard allows the NOC a nice collection of clearly defined tools to troubleshoot before escalating to engineering. The customer is locked down to a template, so the dashboard warns the NOC of the configuration change before an outage would occur. The dashboard has given me my evenings and weekends back thanks to a simple and power tool. Thank you Meraki 🙂
Community Manager
@teabread90 wrote: Also, how do you give kudos in here? 

I’ll turn kudos on for this contest on Thursday 11am Pacific!

I’m curious for opinions though - do ya’ll prefer separate contest submission and voting periods, or should we just have voting on the whole time? Feel free to PM me your opinion (so we don’t pollute the contest entries here!).

Conversationalist

I think this is great. I've used the dashboard for lots of troubleshooting. I don't want the prize but I say kudos to CarolineS  that created this request.   The examples given by the various community members are great and helpful.    

Conversationalist

I have an issue where end users are not getting network connection and the local IT have check and found out that those workstations are getting APIPA. I have use the Meraki Dashboard to check easily if the ports are configured in the correct VLAN and are allowed on trunks. I have found out that the VLAN they are in is not yet allowed in the trunk, once I have added it everything works fine 🙂

A model citizen

We have had issues in the past where our offices complain about dropped connections and some packet loss. Using the uplink statistics in Security Appliance > Configure > Traffic shaping, I was able to put monitors on the various hops to 8.8.8.8. While the list is sometimes long in some places, doing this allows us to see the hops along the way. From here, we work with ISPs to remedy trouble spots in their network! Our employees are happy and our ISPs are happy.

Conversationalist
Nothing to technical from my experience, more of a funny moment. A doctors surgery reported bandwidth issues, slow internet etc. Only on Thursdays.... We decided to camp out on the Dashboard one Thursday and noticed (name of doctor's sons's) MacBook Air. After a quick look up we could the little ol' chap was streaming big time on the ADSL service whilst also WEB GL gaming. His dad put a stop to that. So we didn't have to. The practice was happy after that.
Building a reputation

I (the CIO) came on-board BHC Resorts to revamp and overhaul everything. Last guy had a custom made firewall built on PFSense, which is a great product, but his GUI was riddled with security holes, didn't use TLS (or even SSL most of the time), most of the features didn't work, and was slower than the line speeds we had. And to top it off, take a look at the GUI homepage. Keep in mind the majority of the buttons on the left didn't work or 404'd.

Terrible Custom FirewallTerrible Custom Firewall

No, I don't know why the Muppets Chef is there. Troubleshooting was literally, non-existent. There was no logging, no DHCP lease view, absolutely zero visibility in to the network. You could do basic port forwarding and that is about it. Fast forward to today:

meraki.jpg

I mean, there isn't even a comparison, right? We can view analytics, troubleshooting ports, we have way more data than we use. And we love it!

Getting noticed

Thanks to Meraki dashboard, I was able to prove to a chain store "brass" that the wifi problems were occouring only at the 2,4Ghz due to unmanagable interferences (you can neither ask the Store Security to switch off the alarms because of their motion detectors neither ask the store customers to switch off their phones/personnal hotspots when they enter a store).
The sollution was to force the corporate end user equipements (bar code readers, laptops, corporate mobile appliances) to preferably use 5Ghz and replace those that were 2,4Ghz-only.
Problems solved and a very happy customer.