cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CONTEST ENDED] Community Challenge: Digital Transformation

Community Manager

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 12.18.56 PM.png

Update: This contest has ended! Thank you all for your thoughtful digital transformation ideas and examples — we really enjoyed reading your responses!

We randomly selected three swag winners: @Jorg95@pawelk, and @tdj7397. I'll be reaching out today to confirm your shipping addresses. Congratulations!

This month’s Community Challenge will explore the hot topic of the moment: digital transformation. 

“Digital transformation” generally refers to the current trend of using technology to simplify processes and solve problems more efficiently. 

There are infinite examples of how a business might be making this transformation. Maybe they’re upgrading their manufacturing process with labor-saving robotic arms, or perhaps they’re leveraging data to better appeal to their customers’ needs. Or they might finally be trading in their typewriters for those cutting-edge Macintosh personal computers 😉.

With this concept allowing for such a truly broad spectrum of possible definitions, we want to know: what does digital transformation mean to you at your organization? What has your digitally transformative journey entailed? Or, how are you planning to make digital improvements over the coming months? 

We're asking this very broad question because our team is genuinely curious about what digital transformation means to our customers and partners. We may reach out to some of you who enter this contest to learn more!

Let us know in a comment on this post and be entered to win swag! Feel free to use video, diagrams, etc. to help illustrate your response.

How to enter

Submit your digital transformation thoughts in a comment on this blog post before 11 a.m. PST on Monday, August 19th. We’ll then draw three at random to win an exclusive new Meraki Community mug and a fancy Meraki pen (and what better way to celebrate digital transformation than with a pen)! Your entries will be public and visible throughout the contest.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190812112449147_COVER.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190812112810302_COVER.jpg

The Fine Print

68 Comments
Conversationalist

A new way of creating new or reinventing already existing business and it's environment, mostly via the cloud with the latest up to date technology which Cisco-Meraki is proudly taking leadership....Digital Transformation!

Kind of a big deal

Conversationalist

Digital Transformation to my organization is the ability to execute a task that used to require about 10 steps to only require 1 though process automation. One example of this is the use of MS PowerApps to on-board a new hire without having to email about 4 different people to get that person properly on-boarded and ready to make an impact.

Here to help

Digital Transformation is the act of moving from the traditional on premise everything mentality! Too moving work loads such as networking, compute, applications in an environment utilizing CSP (Cloud Service Providers) or SAAS products to help simplify operational efficiencies. Digital Transformation helps improve efficiency and lets businesses manage operational IT spend and lower capital cost of their IT yearly expenditures. 

Comes here often

When the phrase, “Digital Transformation" became common buzzwords 18-24 months ago, my first thought was, "you are about 30 years behind the times!" Most businesses have made the move from analog telephones to digital. They have changed from modems to fiber connectivity. What business sends a letter when an email or possibly an instant message will suffice? The "digital transformation" has already occurred. Was that the end of the digital transformation? Has technology reached the point where everything is already digital? Right? Maybe not...

Yes, all those things have occurred, and quite a few more examples as well.  That is when I began to rethink the meaning of the words, Digital Transformation. Maybe some aspects of the analog world have transformed and still others are only beginning to.

Technology has been maturing since the first punch card and tape roll computers of the 1940s. Then products like VoIP handsets in the 1990s, video conferencing of the 2000s and cloud services of the 2010s were deployed. Budgets for IT are ever shrinking, staff is being asked to take on more and more or even becoming a revenue center as opposed to a cost center. Digital Transformation is the next technological advance which will be readily accepted to make these possible.  Migrating away from email to tools can bring individual ideas together in a group repository. Now begins the enablement of talking, seeing, and truly collaborating and storing this information for instant accessibility to group while still maintaining security and access controls.

Digital Transformation. Is it just hype? After some contemplation, I don’t believe so. It is the evolution of how business is going to be done. It is how technology, the cloud, AI, and whatever comes next will bring efficiencies for workers to….well work and succeed.

Getting noticed

Digital Transformation first defined itself to me at a Compaq conference shortly after they purchased Digital Equipment Corporation and started more aggressive moves into the enterprise environment.  They called it "Zero Latency Enterprise", where all processes and functions, including human interaction inside the enterprise, expanding out to satellite locations, and with end customers, was completely digital, redundant, and centrally available.  The concept was that if a customer expressed interest in an item (via online, or at the time interactive kiosk or other physical terminal, or the early customer scanning devices folks thought might catch on), that information was immediately digested and made available to every level of the enterprise 'business intelligence' and CRM datastores; enough customers expressing said interest might trigger automatic inventory changes, as well as alerting about possible trends or fads, alerting store managers to 'feature' items on end-caps, or the ads department to make sure those items were in next weeks commercials or newspaper ads.

They used Disneyland as an example (and Disneyland has made a lot of changes that reflect ZLE, whether or not that came from Compaq).  The ride reservations, timers to go places so you didn't have to stand in line, forecasting things you might want because you bought particular tickets/entry tokens/whatever, to keep all the customers as happy as possible while minimizing costs of walkouts, improving sales (we have time to hit the food stand instead of waiting in line), etc. ZLE talked about magnetic stripe card or a portable PDA type device at the customer level, obviously no longer needed with current tech. 

It was all quite interesting, though the complexity of what they were envisioning may be part of why Compaq got eaten by HP not long after and ZLE disappeared into the bit bucket  (a digital transformation of a trash can...).  

So Digital Transformation, from this early ZLE concept to current, is about gathering as much data as possible about every aspect of the business environment and the people in it, and the people they work with, sell to, buy from, deal with, and optionally _might_ do any of those with in the future, as close to real time as possible, analyzing it, collating it, making it available to as many relevant people, processes, and systems as possible in coherent and usable form as close to real time as possible, so that it can be used to best prepare and position the business/organization to prosper.

Digital Transformation has also meant that many businesses are forced to change their methods and processes to work the way whatever package they purchase wants them to work.  It doesn't matter if your business has refined its procedures and methods for decades; if you go with a pre-package you must change a lot in order to squeeze into that new mold, otherwise you have to have the large IT departments of the past with considerable development staff and support costs... but then keep your long learned/earned methods.  The latter doesn't seem to get counted as "Digital Transformation" in current parlance; if you don't standardize on an 'industry standard' package or giant well known BI/CRM/etc service, then you're still stuck in the past.

Comes here often

For me digutal transformation means sleeping one hour longer Smiley Happy since I read my newspaper online and the Paperboy won't wake me up 6:00 in the morning - fortunatly it has a positive effect on environment since less trees get cut down for newspapers.

Conversationalist

This is my though when I heard the word "Digital Transformations". It is the way of transforming services in effortless way. The task and surroundings become fast and lighter. In my case this applies to any transactions that need no required paper and pencil.

Just browsing

Digital transformation is the integration of digital technology into all areas of a business, fundamentally changing how you operate and deliver value to customers. It's also a cultural change that requires organizations to continually challenge the status quo, experiment, and get comfortable with failure. 

(It is technologys tools, it used to reduse the costs) 

Comes here often

We're going through a "digital transformation" (DT) at my company and I see it as a multi-faceted approach that disrupts our traditional ways of doing things. It goes beyond switching to email from paper/fax and rather is an organizational culture shift. I feel DT is very organization specific in its implementation and definitely requires buy-in from all stakeholders for it to be successful. It does involve a change in processes, leveraging new and existing technology to produce even more efficiency. Beyond efficiency, we look at ways we can develop "new products" from the technology that exists for instance, IoT.

An org that decides to implement DT could also benefit from employing the agile method. That said, each group within the org needs to determine how DT and agile works for them keeping in mind that the idea is to get rid of silos, empowering employees with the knowledge and tools to make decisions without fear of reprimand, thereby enabling the ability to get more done quicker and with as little duplication of work between groups.

I believe the transformation can be as simple as allowing staff to work from home using VPN connections and IP services for communication to leveraging the cloud for your XaaS rather than having in-house infrastructure. With DT, there are endless possibilities - our imagination is our only limitation.

DT for me can be summarized best in the words of a cool little boy, "Do not try and bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth... there is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself."

Comes here often

digital transformation is make us disrupt, or we follow digital transformation and disruption the market.

Just browsing

In my words digital transformation is applying technology to all key areas in a business ie by applying analytics has really helped business have insights and deep understanding of what customers want.

As Adcare ltd team we are using a number technologies to achieve full  potential from NFV to SD-wan to lower our overall opex and capex footprint

Conversationalist
digital transformation is technology that make our job/task to be fast, for example old wifi technology using 802.11b.g with transfer rafe up to 54Mbps with digital transformation knowdays already develop wireless speed to be gigabit transfer rate
New here

Digital transformation to me is an easy way of accessing the technology where interface of every IOT should be user friendly. Increase in technology dependency means a great success in Transformation.

Here to help
Digital Transformation means alot to the organization am working for, we are able to monitor the uptime/downtime in real time and be able to resolve problems within the SLA given time. It helps us to share information with partners residing in different region(s) in real time and discus things on a round table via digitised equipment eg VoIP, Conferencing. We are able to monitor our work if we making a difference and incease productivity. This is why i really need to do a course in Meraki and SD-WAN, i see it as another step to Digital Transformation to transform productivity in our company.
Here to help

Digital Transformation is just another annoying buzzword the world could do without.

Conversationalist

Digital Transformation is an ecosystems that encompass customers, employees, developers, suppliers, and even extended networks of related businesses.

By providing platforms for accessing shared assets, such as software, data, and compute resources, ecosystems help organizations deliver high-value products and services with greater speed and efficiency

Comes here often
Using technology to improve you business would this be infrastructure, software or cloud solutions.
New here

Digital Transformation is for me the combination of Hard- and Software

to optimized the Work/Life Balance in Company`s

I mean. that all digital transformation
must be focused on the people, which unfortunately is far too often not the case.

Meraki is on the Way to focused that.

Just browsing

Hi!

In IT world it can mean almost anything which is a progress from current state.

We already had a digital transformation from the analog world. 

What is coming is next the digital transformation of human body and its merge with the digital part of the world.

Second would be it AI stepping in our personal live and work ecosystems.

🙂