client name with incrementing number

RobMcLean
Getting noticed

client name with incrementing number

From clients view in my dashboard I have a few clients that show their name followed by a number.  This number is starting to increase.

The clients that are doing this are 4 Apple HomePod Minis. 

Kitchen-2

LivingRoom-4

Bar-5

Bedroom-1876 

Yesterday the bedroom showed as Bedroom-420

Any clue why this is happening?

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm guessing this is a consequence of Apple devices doing MAC randomisation but advertising the same.  So it looks like there are multiple devices with the same name.

MAC randomisation?  Can you eloborate a bit more on this?

The devices have a static MAC.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RobMcLean what kind of devices are they, many IOS and Android devices automatically change their MAC addresses unless you specify that they should not.  It is usually only when not authenticated, but can vary. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RobMcLean secondly, if you change the client view to last week, do you see the older versions and if so how do they compare with each other and the current ones?

RobMcLean
Getting noticed

@cmr As I mentioned earlier, they are Apple HomePod Minis.

Changing the view shows the same, However the Bedroom is now up to 2057 (Bedroom-2057)

As I was typing this response the Bedroom jumped up to 2133

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am not sure if this is your problem, but it looks similar:

If macOS devices (and HomePods have the same base as macOS) get the same IP, they automatically change the name with an incrementing number. Make sure that there are not two DHCP-servers in your network with overlapping DHCP-scopes.

So I'm not sure which of the 2 things I did solved the issue, but I am no longer seeing this behavior.

I installed a new Windows 2019 DHCP server and removed the old 2008R2 server.

I flattened out the clients into a single L2 network/VLAN.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels