cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WE Need IPV6 Support in MX

SOLVED
Kind of a big deal

Re: WE Need IPV6 Support in MX

@davidvan Wow - that is not the kind of comment anyone is looking for from a Meraki employee on the topic of IPv6. If all Meraki has to say is "Keep making wishes!", this is probably not the thread to come say that in. This is not what I have come to expect from Meraki and am really disappointed by this kind of commentary from an employee. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Here to help

What a joke and a disgrace! I think that we will move from not recommending to active removal with attitude like that!

Getting noticed

I agree that the Meraki response was beyond awful for a core networking technology.

I think that it is time to jump off this board and start calling your sales reps and letting them know we need more information.

The more wood we can throw on this fire, the better we will get noticed and get answers.

Conversationalist

It's not critical for us now but this seems like a basic requirement that should be implemented shortly. 

Getting noticed

@grimm_j Unfortunately, it is critical. The Internet infrastructure has changed so much that many service providers are going full IPv6. This becomes very important, especially organizations that are at the cutting edge pushing the boundaries of technology. IPv6 is a requirement and whats holding Meraki back is their security appliance not supporting IPv6 yet.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator
Getting noticed

I have run into issues with the lack of IPv6 both at home and at work.  I have an iPhone on T-Mobile and they do not hand out IPv4 to their phones anymore.  Means I can't connect to my work VPN or my home VPN.

Getting noticed

@davidvan I know you are likely still feeling a bit of a sting from the replies to your last response re IPv6 on this post (sorry for that) but you still have a "community" looking for Meraki's guidance re the IPv6 standard which was fully ratified LAST YEAR and that Cisco Meraki still does not support. Therefore, we ask again and request a more appropriate and productive response than we received last time to the simple question: When is Cisco Meraki rolling out support of IPv6 on the MX and the rest of the Meraki network stack in beta and when is Meraki hoping to have it into stable release?

If Meraki isn't going to provide honest and transparent answers to the questions people have on the matter why even bother with this community? Again, IPv6 isn't a competitive advantage Meraki needs to hide from the world while in development, it's a requirement that both partners and customers need to be kept informed on.

Cohort Networks Inc.
Your Business. Connected.
Getting noticed

I am regretting making the choice of a Meraki MX64 at work due to this.  I wanted to start rolling out IPv6 but I can't since they don't support it.

Getting noticed

Hopefully, but doubtful on my part, the quarterly update tomorrow will give us something on this front.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator
Here to help

We are regretting even breathing the word Meraki, it has cost us two clients just due to this one issue.

Getting noticed

I just attended to quarterly Webinar.

IPV6 ACL in MS series is the closest to any real talk about IPV6.  In response to questions about IPV6, the response was that they are "continually chipping away at IPV6".

To change the chipping away to a commitment the community needs to step up and:

1. Call your sales rep and tell then IPV6 in MX is critical.  Keep calling!
  2. Continually click the Make a Wish on the MX page and enter IPV6 with a reason of why it is needed.
  3. Attend the quarterly meetings and ask about MX IPV6.  

We need to stop complaining to ourselves and ramp up our complaining the Meraki directly every chance we get.

Getting noticed

Let my sales rep know I need it at home and at work, he got promoted so he sent it to my new sales rep (I think he was my rep for a month).  Honestly, at this point I will probably rip out all my Meraki gear at home and deploy new Ubiquiti gear (since I gave my old Ubiquiti gear to my parents when I got my Meraki stack).

Conversationalist

We are in somewhat of the same boat. We have spent well over 50k on devices and licensing. Our ISP has no more IPv4 to hand out. Some of our servers require it such as Micrsoft's DirectAccess. 

I am deeply saddened that Meraki is not more transparent on this issue. Even something as much as we are almost done, expect it sometime next year would suffice.

At this time if we don't see something by the end of the year we will have to switch to something like SonicWall.

Very sad Meraki. As others have stated this is a feature that has been out on even the cheapest routers and firewalls for a long time. Yet Meraki can't seem to get this deployed? I am almost positive they probably have 1 or 2 guys working on this while the rest are working on the billions of beta firmware they seem to have.

New here

I will chime in with this as well, we have a deployed fleet of MX's across several states/locations.  And I live in fear of at least one of them deciding to force IPv6 on us at one of the various ISP's.

Here to help

Yeah TL I know what you mean, my nightmare of losing an almost 7 figure a year client came true last week due to Meraki sitting on their arse about this. They are blaming us and talking about a lawsuit. 

Getting noticed

Its not just that they don't have IPv6 its the total radio silence. Not even a we are working on it and expect it by Q whatever 18 or 19. Even if they added it as supportable but still needed IPv4 in the short term to phone home that would be preferable to no IPv6 support period.

I would also echo the other comments in this thread that Meraki employees quit calling it a feature. When everyone else supports its no longer a feature its a basic requirement.

Getting noticed

@Bovie2K I agree.  I just rolled out internal IPv6 at the office but had to get an internal only IPv6 range.  I know both the ISP we have at work and the ISP I have at home support IPv6.  One via static allocation (I believe), the other via IPv6-PD.  I want both to work since I am he.net IPv6 certified.

Getting noticed

@Bovie2K wrote:

Its not just that they don't have IPv6 its the total radio silence. Not even a we are working on it and expect it by Q whatever 18 or 19. Even if they added it as supportable but still needed IPv4 in the short term to phone home that would be preferable to no IPv6 support period.

I would also echo the other comments in this thread that Meraki employees quit calling it a feature. When everyone else supports its no longer a feature its a basic requirement.

@CarolineS What makes Meraki's radio silence on IPv6 even worse is that they would reference this thread as one that I assume Meraki is taking flack on in the community birthday announcement sent out yesterday yet continue to stand on their non-answer answers. It screams "we hear you but don't really care" and demonstrates how tone deaf Meraki is on this issue. It's shameful and borders on irresponsible!

We ask again... When is Cisco Meraki rolling out support of IPv6 on the MX and the rest of the Meraki network stack in beta and when is Meraki hoping to have it into stable release? "We continue to chip away at IPv6" during Meraki's quarterly update webcasts is not a suitable response to an important question.

Cohort Networks Inc.
Conversationalist

Its kind of a bummer to think that so many users are so close to pulling all Meraki equipment and they (both the user and Meraki) will lose so much money over a standard protocol like IPV6.

How long do you think the iPhone would last if Apple suddenly decided it doesnt need a standard web browser anymore?

Getting noticed

this article is in german: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/IPv4-Daemmerung-Telekom-testet-IPv6-only-Kommunikation-im-Mo...

the message ist very clear: IPv6 is already there, also in europe/germany. IPv6 only is being tested. it is the future. RIP IPv4 and - hopefully(!) - not meraki.

Getting noticed

I hate to say it, but I'm about to switch my router to something that supports IPv6 PD and just keep my switch and AP.
Building a reputation

One year past  what about IPv6 ? 

Any ETA ?

Someone at meraki to give a bit of visibility to us ?

Getting noticed

@davidvan You post on other threads but won't address rebuttal to your non-answer post from June. Can you please comment on posts made RE: IPv6 since your last post?

Meraki Employee

@JasonCampbell Unfortunately, I'm hamstrung on talking internal R&D efforts in a public forum. My last response is all I discuss publicly at this point.

But, don't hesitate to continue to put pressure on us. As soon as I have any update for you on this, I will be sure to notify the community.

Getting noticed

@davidvan Thanks for the post. I understand you are limited on what can be said but I think this forum thread is enough to take back to management to show there is a real NEED and WANT for full IPv6 and NAT64 support from MX. Like I said in an earlier post it wouldn't please everyone but even a middle ground of the phone home still using IPv4 but the MX's at least having NAT64 support would be great in the nearer term.

Also not knowing is the worst. We don't know if its two years away or two months away. Some statement at all would be helpful.

Thanks

Meraki Employee

@Bovie2K I understand your point not knowing, and i'll see what I can do. Do you have a Meraki sales representative you can contact and discuss this issue with?

Here to help

Please don't bother talking to your sales rep. since they know even less. Its a sales rep. why would it bother with technical stuff anyway.
Getting noticed

My sales rep has changed 3 times in under a year, makes it hard to develop a relationship. Plus, I got my setup free for attending webinars.
Getting noticed

@davidvan Yes I can ask my rep.

Here to help

We're a startup, setting up our corporate and service network and I need to expose some servers for public access. We have restricted IPv4 space from ISP, so I decide to learn about IPv6. Become IPv6 master (okay, not quite, but much more educated now). I decide IPv6 is the right answer for many challenges we're facing, so I log into my Meraki dashboard to implement IPv6 on MX, MS, and MR. Don't see any options in the menus; decide to find instructions online. Find this thread instead. 

Next step: change our network infrastructure?

Getting noticed

@Austin wrote:

We're a startup, setting up our corporate and service network and I need to expose some servers for public access. We have restricted IPv4 space from ISP, so I decide to learn about IPv6. Become IPv6 master (okay, not quite, but much more educated now). I decide IPv6 is the right answer for many challenges we're facing, so I log into my Meraki dashboard to implement IPv6 on MX, MS, and MR. Don't see any options in the menus; decide to find instructions online. Find this thread instead. 

Next step: change our network infrastructure?

@Austin if you are looking for a response from Cisco Meraki on this don’t hold your breath. All they do is respond with canned non-answer responses and direct you to your Meraki rep. who  I followed up with but they only give the same useless response those Meraki staff in the community give. Both Meraki senior management and Cisco senior management all have public social media accounts (Twitter). It may be time to be reaching out to them directly. My account rep ageeed that might be a good approach since their hands are tied. The current situation is unacceptable.

Cohort Networks Inc.
Here to help

@Austin You hit the nail on the head if you need IPv6 then you have to change infrastructure which is what we are recommending to anyone using anything Meraki. This disgusts me and has left a huge black mark on my company for recommending this stuff. 

Getting noticed

@Cohort_Networks: i also do think it's time to make this issue public. nothing happens if we continue here on this thread. which twitter accouts shall we write to?

Getting noticed

IPv6 needed

Cohort Networks Inc.
Getting noticed

Highlighted
Getting noticed

I'm massively disappointed about lack of IPv6 as a new Meraki customer.  It was a choice between Meraki and Juniper Sky Enterprise - wondering now if I made a big mistake.

Conversationalist

I have spent about a total of 8 hours over the last few weeks searching upon scouring the interwebs and my portal for any sort of snippet on this.

Nothing, its the same sob story, im kind of amazed how they do not have this implemented.  I am actually starting to pull some of my clients from this and switching to Ubiquiti.  

Thanks Cisco.

New here

Well this thread makes me want to just cry. I just spent crazy amounts of money on this stuff only to learn ipv6 over vpn doesn't work so now i have a 10 thousand dollar utm that can't even provide a vpn? What the ...

Seriously meraki fix this like yesterday please. I can't even begin to explain my amazement by this whole situation. I feel like a complete moron for buying this thing. The AP's work fine but this is completely unacceptable for a device in this price range. I need to be able to provide a vpn through my utm. All I can say is i am not spending another penny on a meraki product until i see this resolved.

Getting noticed

As of 2018: The lack of an IPv6 stack is a BUG, not a missing feature!!!

Conversationalist

The very sad reality is that they want this as a push for you to buy asa's and more of the enterprise gear.  The also sad reality is that from a IT support as consultants or engineers, we love the dashboards and simplistic views and being able to manage on the fly with things.  Cisco is also getting a sh*&ton of $$ with either product that we are purchasing from them.

So please.  Implement it already.

Getting noticed

@RickJames wrote:

Well this thread makes me want to just cry. I just spent crazy amounts of money on this stuff only to learn ipv6 over vpn doesn't work so now i have a 10 thousand dollar utm that can't even provide a vpn? What the ...

Seriously meraki fix this like yesterday please. I can't even begin to explain my amazement by this whole situation. I feel like a complete moron for buying this thing. The AP's work fine but this is completely unacceptable for a device in this price range. I need to be able to provide a vpn through my utm. All I can say is i am not spending another penny on a meraki product until i see this resolved.

If you purchased it less than 30 days ago request an RMA but be sure to tell them why you are doing so.

Cohort Networks Inc.
Getting noticed

Selection_819.png

Getting noticed

Selection_820.png

Getting noticed

Selection_821.png

Kind of a big deal

@nikiwaibel While I understand what you're going for, badgering Support about this isn't going to change anything right now. Make sure your sales team knows you want IPv6 support in the MX line so they can add your account ($$$) to the feature request. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Conversationalist

@MRCUR:

Badgering support would probably have a better result. The last people I would want to speak with is the Meraki Sales team. They probably don't know, or care, about the technical requirements of today. They are there to sell the product.

I personally would badger any and every soul that works @ Meraki about this.

These MX devices should have NEVER hit the public market without IPv6 support. Let alone all of the 'new' devices that STILL don't support it. How much use is that LTE connection going to be when more and more mobile ISP's are moving to IPv6 ONLY every day like T-Mobile?

I mean, for the love of god (or whatever deity you choose....or not), even Windows XP could support IPv6.

Also, just to throw it out there, IPv6 is a network standard, not a feature, and should be treated as such.

Getting noticed

Not my intent to be disrespectful in suggesting this but this requires drastic measures at this point. Perhaps it's time to Contact Todd Nightingale is SVP, General Manager at Cisco Meraki since everyone below him in the Meraki organization has  ignored our cries for transparency on IPv6 or provided useless responses on the matter.

He has a profile on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/todd-nightingale-a106b510/

He is also on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/tnight?lang=en

Why introduce the new MX products supporting LTE when some carriers and ISP are only supporting IPv6 this late in the game? Meraki needs to focus their resources on fixing this IPv6 predicament NOT releasing new products.

Cohort Networks Inc.
Getting noticed

@MRCUR: i disagree. sales, in my case, does actively ignore *all* my IPv6 comments. if there is a response, it is this: https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Other_Topics/IPv6_Device_Compatibility. i am pretty sure, most of sales have no clue what i am / we are talking about.

but, the support teams know ***exactly*** what i am / we are talking about! and they may have the power to raise a hand.

i see two possible reasons for this situation:

a) cisco wants to keep the meraki produkt line "low"; maybe irrelevant in the future. (meraki may have been seen as a real competition, so they acquired them back in 2012).

b) the hardware may be cheap/old and no IPv6 stacks are available. not sure, if all MR/MX/… run linux.

i hope i am wrong with both points.

at least, i did not get an immediate, standard answer to my last post in case 03249519. for the record: the lack of an IPv6 full stack is not a missing feature. that's a BUG!!!

i suggest, if anyone is still interested in meraki, open a supportcase (example above) and tweet/message Todd Nightingale, as @Cohort_Networks suggests:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/tnight

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/todd-nightingale-a106b510/

if you want, also create a feature request / wish and contact sales. maybe that helps as well.

Getting noticed

I was told the hardware supports IPv6 but there are some current software packages they need to replace before they can support it.

Getting noticed

@Bovie2K: that's great news. porting/extending/replacing/updating some packages may take some time and get the GUI and logic ready as well. i still have some hope, that they have already gotten the shouting and have some surprise for all of us in 2018.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.