Template question

Charlie
Getting noticed

Template question

Let me try and set the stage for you.
I have a Meraki MX84 with a MS225-48 port switch plugged in. I am using a Xfinity/Comcast internet connection.
MX84 right out of the box connects to the Meraki dashboard with no problem. Out of the box it uses a 192.168.128.0/24 single VLAN.

I plug my MS on Port1 to the MX on port3 (MX84)port1------port3(MS225). This seems fine and both devices connect to the dashboard are manageable remotely.

So now I have my template that distributes vlans as such:
Vlan10 10.244.100.0/24
Vlan20 – 10.244.200.0/24
Vlan50- 10.244.300.0/24

My MX template has ports 3-4 setup as my management trunk with native vlan 50 (to connect my switch on my mgmt vlan)
My MS switch profile is set to use ports 1-4 as uplink trunks on vlan 50

When I apply the template my switch does not seem to want to connect and gives an error of bad IP information.
Now mind you I am doing this remotely because I have 100s of these sitting in the “default configuration” I mentioned earlier. Getting errors saying that my switch is on vlan1 but the vlan feeding it is vlan50. I tried to change it via dashboard but does not seem like it takes the change because of course it’s upstream connection is now not working.

I hope that made sense in my explanation. My question is how do I apply my templates and still get my switch to grab one of my new IPs from my template? Do I need to change the switch ports config to vlan 50 and apply (while I have a connection) then apply my template? Sounds like if I do that I might drop my switch anyways but might then be in a state where it will grab an IP address after I apply my template.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Charlie This is an AMA thread about managing Meraki's corporate networks. You should start a new thread in the relevant forum for your questions. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels