Meraki access point range issues and advice please

phelimmc
Here to help

Meraki access point range issues and advice please

Hi,

We are experiencing coverage issues with MR36 access points where users see coverage diminishing due to distance and factors such as doors. What are the best access points to overcome this issue? is it worth changing the transmit power setting on access points to try and overcome this issue? Do antennas work? I don't believe the MR36 access points support the use of antennas. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks 
5 Replies 5
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Can you provide a little more info like how many MR's, how big of an office space?  Multiple floors?  Ceiling height?  Is there a lot of neighbor interference?  Are you using both 2 and 5Ghz?

In very general terms you may just need more MR's closer to your clients and with lower power settings.  You might also be able to adjust minimum bitrates to try to get clients to roam better.  All Ap's have more or less the same radio transmit power since it is regulated by the FCC (or your countries equivalent) You may also consider getting a proper site survey done or at least a predictive survey to help understand better what is needed to meet your requirements.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are they hollow doors, fire doors? Do they have windows with the reenforcing mesh in it? There are so many variables with wireless that a proper site survey should be completed.

As Brandon mentioned the more information you can provide us the more we can help.

Agus
Getting noticed

Hi,

I think before placing the access point can consider where place most of obstable like door, wall and other that can decrease receiving signal on receiver device (mobile phone or laptop). If lot of obstacble it can put more than 1 access point or add repeater

Thanks

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's like saying:

"We are experiencing range issues with petrol cars where users see range diminishing due to distance and factors such as roads. What are the best petrol cars to overcome this issue? is it worth changing the petrol octane rating to try and overcome this issue? Do extra petrol tanks work? I don't believe the petrol cars support the extra petrol tanks. Any advice would be appreciated."

Almost impossible to answer, isn't it?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth surely you just use magic beans, I find they normally work, especially when the usual tin foil hat has failed 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels