When can we see more throughput on MX models?

jdestef17
Getting noticed

When can we see more throughput on MX models?

I'm going to be upgrading my router soon and was looking at the MX68. Any idea if the MX models will be upgraded at any point to handle more throughput? I have 1Gbps internet and don't want to cap it at 450Mbps 😊

8 REPLIES 8
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There‘s a real simple solution to your problem: just go ahead and buy a larger box 😉

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm in the same boat (have a Gigabit connection, already using an MX68).

I don't know the answer, but I think we'll see a fresh of the older products first, like the MX84 and the MX100.

I also have 1G fiber at home. My solution was to simply tack-on my MX67 inside my network, and I connect to that if I need to connect to 'work', but otherwise I connect to my regular home network if I am doing non-work stuff.

I wish they had a 1G firewall options. I always thought it was strange to go from 750Mbps (MX100) to 4Gbps (MX250).
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

I thought about this but isn't that double NAT? You're just using it for VPN? 

I don't see why it would be an issue. MX just needs internet, and so it grabs an IP from my ISP modem, and does its thing.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
JohnD
Getting noticed

Just voicing my opinion here as a home office user: I've got symmetric gigabit as well and had to move away from a MX gateway to something else primarily because I wanted to be able to do simple network transfers at 1gbit without the MX being the bottleneck.

I don't at all mind spending even the one time cost to get a MX hardware appliance capable of routing 1gbit, but unfortunately the current MX licensing model means that the price of the license also scales with the price of the unit. It would be great to see an alternate pricing model for those of us with readily accessible, inexpensive gigabit internet.... something that makes the ongoing licensing costs more comparable to a MX67.

I can stomach and understand why a MX400 costs a lot of money in hardware, but if I'm deploying something like that at home just for the sake of gigabit throughput for a small number of clients, I wish the licensing fees wouldn't be the same as, say, using a MX400 at a school district serving tens of thousands of clients.

I had this dilemma, look at what you actually use, measure it, and also what your connected devices are capable of, especially with WiFi. You probably will use no where near the 1Gbps no matter what you try. I had this exact same question, then I realised that you’ll find the limiting factor is Not your edge but what your connecting to.

JohnD
Getting noticed

Unfortunately this is not true in my case.

Most of my mornings start with needing to pull down a few 20-30GB OS installers and source trees and no work can happen until I have the latest daily builds installed.

400mbit vs 950mbit literally makes the difference between whether or not I can start working at all before lunch time.

The rest of the day, as you mentioned, indeed involves the network link having almost 0% utilization. But with that said, that's fairly typical for home users. We need fat pipes mainly because once in a while we need a large download, and we want those to finish quickly. That's very different from something like a VPN concentrator or L3 gateway for a corporation where the reason why you need something like gigabit is simply because the aggregate total of a thousand users consuming 1mbit is 1gbit.

But yeah, for myself, I have hard evidence and reasons why a gateway that cannot get close to 1000mbit symmetric is a major impact that I'm willing to pay money to solve.

BTW I'm a systems engineer myself, I design and size compute power all day long. I totally understand it is a difficult ask from Meraki to make affordable hardware that can achieve this kind of throughput. However, licensing is a different story -- it would be great to differentiate between my kind of use case vs a corporation, even if both have specific requirements that necessitate 1gbit throughput.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels