A Stack of Bricks aka I Can't Access Returned iPads.

FTL
New here

A Stack of Bricks aka I Can't Access Returned iPads.

Here at my company I've faced a recurring issue with iPads (also iPhones) that cannot be accessed via Meraki once they are sent away and come back months or even a year later. By this time, the field techs have often changed the passcode (it can't be overridden or erased - explained below) they've changed the WIFI password and affinity so it no longer seeks the SSID in our home office. And due to this I can't reconfigure them via Meraki. The iPads and iPhones cannot be accessed or influenced or changed when they hop over to cellular.

Once they go cellular I have no access since the departed field tech changed the access code. This makes the device an unreachable brick. 

If I think of it in steps it's basically like this:

1. Device goes out / four digit code changed by tech.

2. Tech leaves my company, iPad battery drains during return process, iPad comes to me I charge it back up.

3. When charged up again it's no longer using WIFI, it only goes to cellular (LTE).

4. Meraki will not talk to it because our Meraki does not access iPad's/iPhone's via LTE.

5. Once on LTE and with no passcode access I cannot reach it to override these problems in Meraki.

- We want Meraki to access our iPad's and iPhones in our office via cellular. So far, not happening. 

Is there a way to get Meraki to access these iPads/iPhones via cellular (LTE.)

So far, no workaround in Apple or the MDM system is working, we've tried them all via the GUI.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Jasonbittner
Conversationalist

I do not deal with Cellular device, but strictly in iPads. When I ova a device that will not connect to the network I use an ethernet cord to connect them. Apple makes a lightning to usb dongle and a usb to ethernet dongle. Then once connected via wire Meraki can talk to them and you will be able to clear the codes. Hope this helps.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels