Managing and using technology during the Coronavirus - who'd like to be on the podcast?

merakisimon
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Managing and using technology during the Coronavirus - who'd like to be on the podcast?

I'm contemplating a podcast episode on the ways businesses, and individuals, are using technology (Meraki, sure, but not exclusively), to help adapt to the current environment we find ourselves in.

If you're interested in joining to talk about your experiences, please reply here, or drop me a private message!

Thanks!

@merakisimon

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For those using on-premise services the big shift is getting the majority of staff onto client VPN.  Sometimes these companies haven't been using client VPN before, or it was only used by a small group (such as the IT staff).

Some companies will be embracing greater security at the same time as their risk profile from using machines at home is increased.  So this may also involve rolling out things like Cisco Duo, Cisco Umbrella, etc.

Some companies may be using RMM tools (maybe even Systems Manager), group policy, etc to try and achieve this "at scale".  Both computers and smart devices might need touching.

Some companies are taking the opportunity to move some stuff into cloud services, like Sharepoint, OneDrive, etc.

I think pretty much everyone is embracing collaboration tools, like Cisco WebEx, Microsoft Teams, etc.

Those companies that are already cloud focused often require very little change.

Some companies are also facing challenges around providing that physical work environment at people's homes.  For example, having that second monitor.  A desk, chair, basic things like that.  Having an environment where you can concentrate without the children, dog, cat, etc busting in every 5 minutes.

There are also concerns about "safety in the workplace" - how do you make sure the persons work space is safe at home, how do you handle accident reporting and response.

Another challenge I have seen companies trying to address is around monitoring productivity.  It's easy when you all sit in an environment where everyone can see each other.  How do you manage that when you can't?  How do you make sure that people are actually "working from home"?

BAllen
Here to help

I'd love to help!

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What’s shocked me are the number of companies that seemed well under prepared for such an event. I understand that this is an unprecedented one but why are companies still using desktop PC’s which has left them scrambling for laptops. I’m always mobile anyway so take this for granted I guess!

I’ve seen firewalls crumble under heavy utilisation and their IT departments trying to implement split VPNs to take the strain off the concentrators.  Why spec a firewall for a couple of hundred of connections when there are 1000 people in the company?

LinkedIn is full of stories of home endpoints being utilised for remote access. Stick a VPN client and job done!  Not long before said stories are replaced by “we’ve been breached”.

Tough couple of weeks and more to come but they’ll be lots of lessons learnt for many.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

@DarrenOC wrote:

What’s shocked me are the number of companies that seemed well under prepared for such an event. I understand that this is an unprecedented one but why are companies still using desktop PC’s which has left them scrambling for laptops. I’m always mobile anyway so take this for granted I guess!

I’ve seen firewalls crumble under heavy utilisation and their IT departments trying to implement split VPNs to take the strain off the concentrators.  Why spec a firewall for a couple of hundred of connections when there are 1000 people in the company?

LinkedIn is full of stories of home endpoints being utilised for remote access. Stick a VPN client and job done!  Not long before said stories are replaced by “we’ve been breached”.

Tough couple of weeks and more to come but they’ll be lots of lessons learnt for many.

The answer to both of your questions is "money" 😀

Desktops are typically cheaper and last longer than laptops.  For those that don't need mobility, is just makes more sense.

I've probably installed a couple hundred firewalls in my career.  I don't think I've ever spec'd one for a 'worst case scenario' where the majority of the company needs a VPN connection.

I do think we'll see some security fallout from this.  Most of the IT people I know are winning the fight against allowing home devices unfettered access to the corporate network.  I support a number of small / medium businesses - for the most part, we're keeping them safe.  Once we explain the dangers and provide some alternatives, they're usually on board.  There are are exceptions though 😓

@DarrenOC  because some departments i.e. finance staff who just do data entry and don't need to be mobile as well as they benefit from having multiple large displays.

Desktop computers are much cheaper in this regard. 

Same thing...some staff just were never expected to be work at home.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.