cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port STP change designated→disabled; Port status change old: 1Gfdx, new: down

Here to help

Port STP change designated→disabled; Port status change old: 1Gfdx, new: down

Yesterday at 15:10 one of our Meraki MS220 switches decided to disable all the ports connecting to MR34 wifi antennas. With the result that all antennas were powered off.

In the logs I can see for every port on the switch:-

Port STP change Port x designated→disabled

Port status change port: x, old: 1Gfdx, new: down

Why would STP disable all the ports on the switch at the same time? No other switches are affected, just this one.

I rebooted the switch and the ports were enabled again.

This switch has been working fine for 5 years.

Meraki support say: 

"Once a devices has been rebooted it loses its logs.... we need to see the switch in its failing state to identify the cause"

Which isn't much help when you have 1000 students and 200 staff all relying on the wifi.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard.

45 REPLIES 45
Kind of a big deal

Re: Port STP change designated→disabled; Port status change old: 1Gfdx, new: down

Did it only disable the ports connected to APs or all of the ports?

What are the port configurations of the failing ports? Access/trunk? (R)STP on/off? Any STP guard functionality enabled?

Have you tested just cycling one of the failing ports instead of rebooting the whole switch?

What's your PoE budget like?

Here to help

Re: Port STP change designated→disabled; Port status change old: 1Gfdx, new: down

Great questions!

This only happend to the ports connected to AP's. The switch is only used for AP's, but none of the unused ports were disabled.

All ports are configured as a trunk port; RSTP: enabled; STP Guard: disabled.

POE: enabled

Link: Autoneg

Schedule: unscheduled

Isolation: disabled

Type: Trunk

Native VLAN 201

Allowed VLANs: all

Trusted: Disabled

UDLD: Alert only

No, I didn't think to power cycle one port. I will do that if it happens again.

POE budget: 

Consumption: 161.4 W / 370 W

Budgeted: 480 W / 370 W

Ben
A model citizen

I know Meraki has had issues with provider power on the MS220 series.
There were issues in the past where the power supply became mis-identified by the switch. I think they resolved it via Firmware upgrades.

Check your event logs on the switches for "PoE budget changes"
Something like "PoE budget change PoE budget changed from 740W to 0W"

A model citizen

yes, which firmware do you run?

Kind of a big deal

Indeed, @Ben is probably on to something. See this post with someone seemingly experiencing the same issue as you: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/453087-meraki-switches-randomly-dropping-poe-budget-to-0?page...

This was @merakisimon 's response back then. This dates back to december '16 though. What's the software version on your switch?

2019-03-08 12_20_02-Greenshot.png

Also I noticed that you are over the PoE budget on your switch. Strictly speaking your MR34's use 18W max. That means a max of 20 APs per switch on a 370W switch. It seems like you have 26 connected.

Here to help

We have 16 MR34 AP's connected to our MS-220 switch. Most are using 10.x w, a total of 184 W accoring to my math.

Kind of a big deal

There's nothing wrong with your math. But the max expected power usage of the AP is 18W as per the datasheet. That's also why the dashboard shows that 480W of the available 370W has been budgetted (reserved). As long as the actual usage doesn't exceed the 370W you'll likely be fine.

I don't think it's related to this problem though. If it were, the behavior would be different. It would just turn of APs starting from those connected to the highest port number until it is within budget.

Note: If the PoE budget is exceeded, PoE power will be disbursed based on port count. In the event the budget is exceeded, PoE priority favors lower port numbers first.(e.g. with all 24 ports in use on an MS22P, if the budget is exceeded and a device requests 6W of power on port1, PoE on port 24 will be disabled.
Here to help

Thanks for the explanation BrechtSchamp, that's more than I could find in Meraki's documentation!

I suspect a bug in the firmware. We will wait and see what happens after a firmware upgrade...

Richard.

Here to help

Hi,

I am currently seeing the same issue on my MS220-8P. 

I have a very easy setup - a router -> Switch -> AP. 

Apart from this, I have 2 end devices connected to the switch.

---

Apr 9 22:57:34 Port STP change Port 8 disabled→designated
Apr 9 22:57:34 Port status change port: 8, old: down, new: 100fdx
Apr 9 22:56:11 Port STP change Port 8 designated→disabled
Apr 9 22:56:11 Port status change port: 8, old: 100fdx, new: down
Apr 9 22:56:08 Port STP change Port 8 disabled→designated
Apr 9 22:56:08 Port status change port: 8, old: down, new: 100fdx
Apr 9 22:56:07 Port STP change Port 8 designated→disabled
Apr 9 22:56:07 Port status change port: 8, old: 100fdx, new: down
Apr 9 22:55:51 Port STP change Port 8 disabled→designated
Apr 9 22:55:51 Port status change port: 8, old: down, new: 100fdx
Apr 9 22:55:26 Port STP change Port 7 disabled→designated
Apr 9 22:55:26 Port status change port: 7, old: down, new: 100fdx
Apr 9 22:55:17 Port STP change Port 7 designated→disabled
Apr 9 22:55:16 Port status change port: 7, old: 100fdx, new: down
Apr 9 22:55:10 Port STP change Port 7 disabled→designated
Apr 9 22:55:10 Port status change port: 7, old: down, new: 100fdx
Apr 9 22:51:39 Port STP change Port 8 designated→disabled
Apr 9 22:51:39 Port status change port: 8, old: 100fdx, new: down

---

One endpoint recently connected to port 7, AP is on port 1, another endpoint connected on port 6. Port 8 is connected to the router that connects to the rest of the world...

Let me know if you need more information from me.

Kind Regards,

Emanuil Svetlinski

Here to help

Are you also using firmware version 10.35? Or are you with the latest version?

I suspect it's a bug in the firmware.

Since i upgraded I didn't have this problem anymore (but then I only had it on 1 switch in the past 5 years anyway) 😜

Here to help

@R_ArtesI am using MS 10.45 for the switch and MR 25.13 for the AP...

What versions are you using?

New here

@svetlinski  I am running the same firmware and having the same issue.  Do you know if anyone has determined the cause and developed a fix or work around?

Here to help

I haven't had this issue again, since upgrading the firmware.

This just confirms my suspicion: if you want reliability, don't choose Meraki. Go with traditional Cisco.

If you want cool new functions and cloud management, choose Meraki. But be aware they are not an Enterprise suitable company.

Here to help

It appears the bug is in MS 11.17 firmware as well. Updated all our switches this past weekend. Since then I have had ports disabled randomly by LACP. I was able to fix that issue by selecting the port down and the next one beside it, then aggregation then switch those ports back. 

Yesterday and today I had two switches become unreachable and they both were experiencing the Port STP change designated>disabled.

I had to reboot both of those switches in order to get the ports back up. So it's obvious Meraki hasn't fixed the problem from the previous versions of the firmware. 

New here

I have the same version of code 10.45 on MS-225 switch but still see these messages in event log. 

Here to help

Same issue on 2 MS220/2 MS225.  Contacted support and they haven't seen anything like it before.  Updated to 10.45, checked power supplies, isolated ports, disabled CDP/LLDP, all at the request of Meraki.  Still occuring on all POE devices.  At least I know I'm not the only one.

Here to help

You can refer them to my case if that helps:- 

Case 03656213

Here to help

Thanks, I'll add that to my case and hopefully it will be resolved

New here

thanks... curious what was the resolution in your case ?

Here to help

No resolution to the case as of yet.  The port STP changes are still occuring.  It's fine with the PCs on the switches but it's killing our POE devices.

BNS
Just browsing

Interesting reading through this issue. I have been seeing some similar issues, yet across a fiber connection not with clients or poe devices. Meraki is stumped.

I looked through known bugs and fixes for the firmware version you have mentioned however I am not see this issue listed. How are you sure this is a firmware problem?

Also, what was the resolution to your Case 03656213?

Thanks in advance

Here to help

My most recent conversation about his issue. Obviously, it's something they can't figure out. 

Meraki Chat.PNG

Here to help

Right now, the only thing we have been able to figure out is that our POE phones have LLDP turned on and the switches also have LLDP turned on.  This could possibly cause a mismatch and make the devices reboot.  Really digging deep for this one.

Conversationalist

Vince, did Meraki ever get back to you with a solution to this in a firmware fix. We are no experiencing similar behaviour with our IP Telephones, Cisco 8851's. We are using MS250's with 11.22 firmware. I am considering disabling the LLDP on the phones per your post to see if this helps. But wanted to know if you were still doing this and if it was still resolving the issue so far. 

Here to help

Ours just stopped doing it two weeks ago. Nothing has changed on our network. So, either Meraki fixed it on their end without telling me or it fixed itself.

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Can you tell me the software version your meraki switches are on? 

Here to help

We are currently running MS 11.22 

Just browsing

Hello, @Enterprise_IT,

Has the issue stopped completely with he new firmware? DO you have any stack running L3 in the environment? Would really appreciate the feedback. 

Here to help

We do have several stacks running L3, however it seems the problem resolved itself. We are still running the same firmware and haven't done any network changes. 

Here to help

I can't find any POE Budget Changes in the logs.

We are using firmware version 10.35. I don't see any bug fixes after 10.35 for PoE.

I will schedule a firmware upgrade to the latest stable version at the weekend, just to be sure.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Richard.

New here

I have an 8-port MS220 connected to an MR18 powered by POE and am experiencing the same things you have described for the past week.   I updated everything last weekend and had good service for about a week, but had more issues this morning.   The logs show the STP message that you shared.   It seems very strange that Meraki isn't able to identify the issue.   

I only have the single MR18 POE device on my MS220.   Other devices are one dedicated wired ports.   This is my home network.   

Please let me know if any resolution is identified.  

Thank you

Meraki Employee

I would like to clarify the distinction between the STP event and the link event to remove any confusion.

When a switch port experiences a loss of PHY (link goes down), it is at this point that STP also "disables" the port. In other words, the meaning of these events is not that the port is being disabled by STP. The meaning is that as a result of the port going down, the STP state changes to disabled. 

Even if the event log ordering may be reversed, this is still the case. This may not explain why a port goes down, only to clarify that it's not going down because of any STP state -- the STP change is itself a result of the loss of link status.

This does not explain all cases but also be aware many devices have various power save and optimizations present on the Ethernet side and may result in downgrade or link speed or bringing a link down for periods of time.

Here to help

Thanks Andrew. This still doesn't explain why all the ports on one switch would disable at the same time. Especially since all the other switches in the building (6 x MS220) had no effect, even though they are all also connected to MR34's.

Conversationalist

Im experiencing the same issue on my MS-350-48LP. A single port on the switch keeps changing status (Attached Image). We have a copier plugged into this port. Not sure if anyone has found a solution. Please advise.

My switch is updated to MS 10.45

This is the Port Config:

Switchport: LS Groome-3 / 3
Name:Copier
Port enabled: Enabled
PoE: Enabled
Type: Access
Access policy: Open
VLAN: 1
Voice VLAN: 500
Link:Auto negotiate
RSTP: Enabled
STP guard: Disabled
Port schedule: Unscheduled
Port isolation:Disabled
Trusted:Disabled
Unidirectional link detection (UDLD): Alert only
Alerts will be generated if UDLD detects an error, but the port will not be shut down.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.04.28 AM.png
Kind of a big deal

@SchofieldT wrote:

Im experiencing the same issue on my MS-350-48LP. A single port on the switch keeps changing status (Attached Image). We have a copier plugged into this port. Not sure if anyone has found a solution. Please advise.

My switch is updated to MS 10.45

This is the Port Config:

Switchport: LS Groome-3 / 3
Name:Copier
Port enabled: Enabled
PoE: Enabled
Type: Access
Access policy: Open
VLAN: 1
Voice VLAN: 500
Link:Auto negotiate
RSTP: Enabled
STP guard: Disabled
Port schedule: Unscheduled
Port isolation:Disabled
Trusted:Disabled
Unidirectional link detection (UDLD): Alert only
Alerts will be generated if UDLD detects an error, but the port will not be shut down.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.04.28 AM.png

It's not a classic case of the cleaning lady unplugging it for her vaccuum is it?

New here

I'm experiencing essentially the same issue on an MS320-48 (firmware is up-to-date

Up to date  Current version: MS 11.17)  All logs still in place as I don't wish to reboot switch and flush logs.
Any insight will be appreciated.
Issue is seen on multiple ports.
port 9:
DescriptionAccess port on VLAN 10
Tags
OFC
Access policyOpen
Link negotiationAuto negotiate (10 Mbps)
RSTPForwarding
Port scheduleUnscheduled
IsolationDisabled
UDLDAlert only
Port mirroringNot mirroring traffic
Port 4:
DescriptionAccess port on VLAN 1
Tags
OFC
Access policyOpen
Link negotiationAuto negotiate (100 Mbps)
RSTPForwarding
Port scheduleUnscheduled
IsolationDisabled
UDLDAlert only
Port mirroringNot mirroring traffic
Jun 25 07:28:0148-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 9 disabled→designated
Jun 25 07:28:0148-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 9, old: down, new: 10fdx
Jun 25 07:27:5448-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 9 designated→disabled
Jun 25 07:27:5448-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 9, old: 10fdx, new: down
Jun 25 07:27:5448-Port Main Switch Cable testports: 9, disrupted_ports: 9
Jun 25 07:27:3948-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 4 disabled→designated
Jun 25 07:27:3948-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 4, old: down, new: 100fdx
Jun 25 07:27:2148-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 4 designated→disabled
Jun 25 07:27:2148-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 4, old: 100fdx, new: down
Jun 25 07:27:2148-Port Main Switch Cable testports: 4, disrupted_ports: 4
Jun 24 20:21:4548-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 9 disabled→designated
Jun 24 20:21:4548-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 9, old: down, new: 10fdx
Jun 24 20:21:4148-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 9 designated→disabled
Jun 24 20:21:4148-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 9, old: 10fdx, new: down
Jun 24 20:21:4048-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 9 disabled→designated
Jun 24 20:21:4048-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 9, old: down, new: 10fdx
Jun 24 20:21:3848-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 9 designated→disabled
Jun 24 20:21:3848-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 9, old: 100fdx, new: down
Jun 24 17:21:4348-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 9 disabled→designated
Jun 24 17:21:4348-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 9, old: down, new: 100fdx
Jun 24 17:21:3948-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 9 designated→disabled
Jun 24 17:21:3948-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 9, old: 100fdx, new: down
Jun 24 17:01:4548-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 8 designated→disabled
Jun 24 17:01:4548-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 8, old: 100fdx, new: down
Jun 24 14:37:1748-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 24 designated→disabled
Jun 24 14:37:1748-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 24, old: 1Gfdx, new: down
Jun 24 12:29:5848-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 5 disabled→designated
Jun 24 12:29:5848-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 5, old: down, new: 10fdx
Jun 24 12:29:5648-Port Main Switch Port STP changePort 5 designated→disabled
Jun 24 12:29:5648-Port Main Switch Port status changeport: 5, old: 100fdx, new: down

Kind of a big deal

I wonder if this is related to:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/HP-Printers-and-high-proportion-of-ethernet-collisions/m-p...

Have you guys got support tickets open?

Here to help

So far, what seems to be working is that we have turned off LLDP on the devices.  Our POE phones had LLDP turned on and the switch also has LLDP turned on.  It's causing a wattage conflict and it reboots the phones.  We are letting the switch handle all LLDP request and so far so good.  Hopefully, this is the fix! fingers crossed

Here to help

Another change we made was changed we have made is in the port configuration, we removed the Voice VLAN setting. Before this change, our POE devices were running at about 2.7W.  After the change, they are up to 4W.  This seems to have been restricting the proper amount of wattage from getting to the POE devices.

Capture.JPG

Kind of a big deal

Did you make the port change and the LLDP changes simultaneously, then saw improved POE behavior, or did you do so at separate times? Curious so I can keep an eye out for this at my clients.

Here to help

Did them simultaneously to minimize disruption to the end user.  Changing the VLAN on the switch will cut the connection to the device momentarily.  We are still in testing with this and have found it won't work on daisy chained device (Phone > Computer).  You can still change the device's settings without affecting anything else, just don't change the switch.

A model citizen

We have got MS225-48LP  / MS120-8P / MS220-48LP switches with Firmware 10.45.

There are a lot of Avaya IP-phones and Cisco and Meraki accesspoint connected.

Non of the has any problems with PoE or LLDP .

all phones are running in a voice-VLAN and PCs connected to the phone are running in a client VLAN.

Its working well.

Only some printers and Apple Macs are changing the link speed all the time. The users can work without any issues.

New here

Hey just wondering if this fixed your issue we have a few IP phones in the network that are having disconnect issues. I am planning on trying to turn off the LLDP on the phone but cannot take the Voice VLAN off as you also mentioned due to it being used. 

Here to help

After talking with our provider, Mitel, it was suggested that there is an issue where if there is a port scanner that is multi-casting, such as IGMP, turned on then the phones with perceive this as an error.  They will reboot to regain the signal.  Look at your port packets in the dashboard.  Multicast/Broadcast messages on ours are above 10 million a day.  Just one suggest of many suggestions we have gotten to fight this thing.

Getting noticed

The spanning tree message is just a side effect of the port going down, not the cause of the outage itself.  When the switch detects there's nothing on the other end, it changes the spanning tree status.  You'll see the same message if you have a PC on a Meraki MS port and the user goes home for the night and turns off their PC.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.