Alert notification with sensor location

kerplunk34
Conversationalist

Alert notification with sensor location

I have alert profiles on my MT sensors so I'll get emailed when one of them starts alerting. I was wondering if instead of getting an email just saying that sensor is alerting, is there a way to attach the location of the sensor in that email too? I put all of the sensors in the map/floorplan feature, but I was hoping there's a way to just have that be available in the alert email rather than having to go into the Meraki dashboard and look at the location of the sensor. So far I haven't been able to find anything that would let me accomplish this.

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

I know of a lot of other questions like this Meraki won't put the information into an email as it is not considered secure.

I haven't tried, but perhaps the webhook alert will disclose more information.  You could set this up with something like Microsoft Teams, or Pager Duty.

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2018/10/real-time-alerting-with-webhooks/ 

https://www.pagerduty.com/ 

Larry_Woods
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

As of today, we do not have a way to attach the location of the sensor along with map/floorplan feature into email.  I would use the 'make a wish' button as Cisco Meraki Employees do read those.  For now, what @PhilipDAth is suggesting is probably your best path using something like webhooks and a variety of APIs to obtain the information and format the alert as you see fit.  It would take some custom work so you are aware.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We just name the sensor with a pretty precise location, (patch rack A, Birmingham etc.) is there a reason you can't do that?

kerplunk34
Conversationalist

We could do that, it's just that some of them are kind of clustered in one area and we don't have a system for denoting their exact location. We could probably make a system though. Regardless, thanks for your input!

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Our sensors are all named as the location they are in. If we have multiple sensors then the sensor type is also in the name. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.