BGP!

khurram
Here to help

BGP!

I have purchased Public IPs from international authority and they have give me the range and ASN number. Kindly suggest and advise to run these addresses on security appliance.

Regards

Khurram Shahzad

5 REPLIES 5
Sameh_Sackla
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

BGP is currently on a private Beta program, more details on this link: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Networks_and_Routing/BGP Please contact your Meraki account team if you would like to subscribe to this beta. Thanks
Sameh Sackla - Cisco Meraki
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't use a Meraki MX for this kind of BGP configuration.

If you only have a single upstream provider you don't need BGP.  Ask them to statically route your IPv4 address block to you.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The BGP beta that was mentioned is meant to be used for AutoVPN and not as an edge router scenario where you are directly connected to an upstream provider and participating in BGP with them. 

As @PhilipDAth mentioned - the MX line isn't meant to run BGP in the manner you're suggesting. If you only have one upstream provider, you can have them (usually) handle the BGP for you and just route your block to you. If you have multiple providers, then you'd really want to have an appropriate router in front of the MX to participate in BGP and handle the routing tables if you want full tables. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

i have 2 upstream service provider

@MRCUR wrote:

The BGP beta that was mentioned is meant to be used for AutoVPN and not as an edge router scenario where you are directly connected to an upstream provider and participating in BGP with them. 

As @PhilipDAth mentioned - the MX line isn't meant to run BGP in the manner you're suggesting. If you only have one upstream provider, you can have them (usually) handle the BGP for you and just route your block to you. If you have multiple providers, then you'd really want to have an appropriate router in front of the MX to participate in BGP and handle the routing tables if you want full tables. 

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@khurram The MX is not the device to be running BGP from then. You should really have a real router sitting in front of the MX to participate in BGP (Cisco ISR, etc.). 

It sounds like from many of your posts that you're trying to use the Meraki line in an ISP environment. Is this accurate? Unfortunately a lot of the Meraki products aren't really meant for that use case as you're seeing. I'd suggest you take a hard look at your environment  before continuing down the Meraki path. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels