Meraki equipment. How much do you really enjoy Meraki products?

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Meraki equipment. How much do you really enjoy Meraki products?

How much has Meraki 💖 equipment taken over your network? I was going through Inventory and I'm like MAN! When did Meraki just take over? What job does Meraki provide for you in your workplace? I'm curious.Capture.PNG

Enthusiast
13 REPLIES 13
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Our switches are being replaced with Meraki MS in batches, out gateways are being replaced with MX units. We are trialing MV cameras.

The only thing we don't have is MR units as we are happy with our current wireless vendor and if it aint broke don't fix it.

>The only thing we don't have is MR units as we are happy with our current wireless vendor and if it aint broke don't fix it.

This doesn't apply anymore.  You want to know why the list of Fortune 500 companies mostly contains "newer" companies now?

Because newer companies were able to adopt newer technologies and ideas - and innovate.

Older companies used the "If it aint broke don't fix it" mentality, failed to innovate as a result, and got killed by the newer competition that did.

Failure to innovate is a recipe for going out of business these days.

@PhilipDAth  The vendor we use for wireless is a leading wireless vendor. Their platform is reliable and they are always adding in new features. Its working, we are happy how it works why would I authorise a complete change over just to say I have a full stack?

We replace our AP's on a 3 year cycle, our AP's are 4x4 MIMO with some 8x8 being installed later this year. 

@BlakeRichardson I could understand this thinking, if you have a functional Wireless network why reinvent the wheel by switching to a new vendor. Based on what we learned when switching from Cisco Controller based APs to Meraki APs, I know the pain that can result from a mass AP change-out.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
jdestef17
Getting noticed

Meraki makes life VERY easy. 😁

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

I just wish all clients could afford the correct meraki solution. It is much easier to manage that almost every solutions and 1000 times easier to manage the Cisco infinite loop of BS.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Agreed. @SoCalRacer On the business side of things I love that licensing is a breeze. One license renewal date for all equipment instead of being aware about expiration when you have 5 different vendors. I'm not gonna rant here saying that Meraki is the almighty solution but it takes the hassle of what was complicated and made it SIMPLE. 

Enthusiast
Nash
Kind of a big deal

@kYutobi I hear this. I spent uh, hours, double-checking that I had the right serial number, the right PAK, the right account when registering my first PAK because what if I messed up.

Meraki: click click paste click approve done. Account manager wants to know when their client's gear expires? Please use the read-only account to take a look, thx.

Still probably gonna write a script for pulling license and inventory info at some point, but.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

I´m doing with Cisco "classic" since 25years.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-24 um 09.55.25.png

And now with Meraki. It´s a "wow!":

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-24 um 09.59.26.png

Meraki is like this:

Meraki: put your feet on the tableMeraki: put your feet on the table

Meraki Socks !!!  

I mean ROCKS !!!!

The products are very easy to install both physically and in the dashboard with the one license per device but I do want to insert a glaring missing feature and that is a local debugging facility.

I've been staring at pulsing lights for too long without realizing what the device is doing at that time, why it's having trouble connecting to the could even without firewall, or why it says connected but the dashboard says never connected, Or when the device just won't fetch it's config.  Also feature debugging when something goes wrong instead of solely having to rely on packet captures. ( non-meraki VPN tshoot for one is hard )

And I wish they would start shipping switches with a priority queue!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.