Routing on switch

Silas1066
Getting noticed

Routing on switch

OK, I am having an issue figuring this out

I have a MX connected to a MS350 switch, and since the trunk port was getting errors, I made the connection an access port instead of a trunk.

So the MX has a VLAN 101 interface 192.168.101.2 /24 connected to 1 on the switch, which is in VLAN 101 and configured with a static address 192.168.101.10 /24.

All that works fine, as the switch talks through the MX to the cloud, etc.

Problem is, I now want to create another subnet/vlan/SVI on the switch for my wireless network, and route to the Internet. Is this even possible with the current setup? What is the workaround?

5 REPLIES 5
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Both the MX and the MS350 can route so you could make both work. The trunk should've worked too.

For the switch L3 config refer to this link :

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Layer_3_Switching_Overview

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It sounds like your MX is the default gateway.  The simplest way is to just create another VLAN on the MX - and convert the access port on the switch to a trunk port again - and deal with whatever the original issue was.

Leaving problems unresolved will probably just coe back to bite you later.  🙂

I managed to figure it out.

The uplink is basically its own physical interface in a kind of VRF. It can be configured in the same network as a SVI you create on the switch, just so long as the connection is changed to a trunk.

So I created VLAN 101 and assigned the uplink to 192.168.101.10 /24

I then created a SVI interface 101 on the switch with an address of 192.168.101.4 , with a default gateway of 192.168.101.2 (the MX)

A little counter-intuitive, because you wouldn't be able to do that on a Catalyst L3 switch.

But it appears to be working fine now

Tye MS350 is just acting as a layer 2 switch - you don't need to create any SVIs on it at all.

@Silas1066 wrote:

So I created VLAN 101 and assigned the uplink to 192.168.101.10 /24

I then created a SVI interface 101 on the switch with an address of 192.168.101.4 , with a default gateway of 192.168.101.2 (the MX)

A little counter-intuitive,   . . .

It is counter intuitive, but not for the reason you gave. 101 is reserved in many networks for a good reason. Think about it, hint, Big Brother is watching . . .

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels