Meraki MS NTP server - exit-relay.tor.world

Israelgq
Here to help

Meraki MS NTP server - exit-relay.tor.world

Hi there,

I have a customer who is getting logs on its Internet Edge firewall regarding NTP requests made from his Meraki switches. The weird thing is that some NTP requests are to the following domains/IPs between others (cloudfare i.e)

exit-relay.tor.world (178.162.211.152)

support.russianbridesnetwork.com (95.216.218.15)
formularfetischisten.de (85.10.240.253)
pauseq4vntp2.datamossa.io (103.126.53.123)

Which don´t seem to be related with an NTP service, specially the exit-relay.tor.world domain. He is very concerned about these requests.

Can you please help me to understand why Meraki switches are sending NTP requests to those domains? Is there any list with specific time server that meraki uses?

I opened a case with Meraki support but their answer so far is that "it is expected" however, I can not come back with my customer with that answer specially due the domains are being requested.

Looking forward for some help

10 REPLIES 10
Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

Hi!

Meraki Devices use the NTP server from Meraki Cloud, based in the network location, that you can find in "Network wide --> General." and efectively uses the NTP protocol port 123. It´s probably that the traffic that you have seen is it.

Johnny Fernandez
Network & Security Engineer
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA
Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

As you can see, Meraki recommends this rule to NTP service, bc neither Meraki knows what NTP server they´ll be ussing due that the location would it be any.

Johnfnadez_0-1585237167376.png

Regards,

Johnny Fernandez
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA

Guess your customer is simply using something like pool.ntp.org which handles out "random" DNS names that are acting as NTP servers.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I am curious what evidence you have of this?  Packet captures?

NTP is a protocol well known to be abused and vulnerable to various attacks, but I am skeptical these requests are actually coming from the switches. More likely a compromised host behind the switches, I would guess.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Hi Brandon,

I have the firewall logs where I can see clearly the request being originated from the Meraki SW to the IPs/domains mentioned.

Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

it makes sense, bc Meraki will find different NTP server based on you time zone. So the firewall info says that you have to configure an  any any eq 123 bc it will use different ip addresses(domains) as a destination

Johnny Fernandez
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA

I just ran a test and this particular domain exit-relay.tor.world does not respond to NTP request. What is concerning to my customer is not the NTP requests per se, it is this particular fqdn where the requests are being sent. As it looks like to be related as TOR exit point even when its reputation and risk scores are low.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Johnfnadez .  No Meraki device sends NTP queries.

So the question now becomes what device is actually making these queries.  Are these switches running in L3 mode?  Is the IP that is showing up the switching management IP or the L3 interface IP (if running in layer 3 mode)?

Switches are running in L2 and the source IP is the switch management IP address

I found what the issue is. As you guys mentioned, Meraki uses ntp.pool.org however, these particular IPs host some ntp.pool.org sub-domains as well as, other domains such as exit-relay.tor.world and because of it, checkpoint firewall is relating the IPs with that domain instead.

As you said, it should not be nothing to be worried about, it is normal and expected behavior.

Thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels