MS210 & MS225 Replacements

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MS210 & MS225 Replacements

I have just been told by my account manager than MS210 and MS225 switches that have the issue with the fans are being replaced with MS250 units. I cant see anywhere in the documentation or email that mentions this.

Has anyone else heard this? 

10 REPLIES 10
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

That seems to be correct. Few of my clients recieved email from Meraki on this. 

Screenshot attached for reference.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

@AjitKumar the screenshot doesn't show anywhere that customer will recieve upgrades it only mentions replacement. 

@ww Yes I have recieved the email and have claimed for the replacements alreayd, thanks for your help. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

it should be under help》 hardware replacement of you have one of the problem switches

Gumby
Getting noticed

If they are replacing with MS250's I can see this causing issues for those stacking with other 225's or 210's, as I don't believe they are compatible.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The 48 port PoE models of the MS210 and MS225 are affected.  The actual failure rate is very low - so low that unless you have 1,000 switches you are statistically unlikely to experience an issue (I guess switches operating in hot rooms are more likely to have an issue).

From the dashboard if you go Help/Hardware Replacements it will show if you have anything affected.

Note that if you opt for an MS250 replacement "right now" then when your current licence expires you will be probably be looking at having to buy a new MS250 licence, rather than a cheaper MS210 or MS225 licence.

If you can wait, then in due time you are likely to get your MS210/MS225 replaced with a like model switch.  Note that Cisco Meraki are monitoring the switch temperatures for any that need more prompt replacement.

@PhilipDAth summed it up nicely.  The only other caveat I might add is to note that the MS250 switches are deeper so be aware of any rack space issues if going that route.  Meraki started offering proactive replacements last week Aug 27th.  Remediated switches should begin shipping out in another month, early October hopefully.  There is also a firmware mitigation already available for any switches that have not yet issues any high temp alerts.  It will be best to discuss with your local Cisco Meraki team or partner to determine the best course of action, depending on your project timeline you will have different options.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I have about 10 that I'll need to do but only one that I know is actively experiencing the issue so I may start with that one first if it is possible to split up the replacements. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

You'll be offered a 250 replacement (including entire stack if you have 210/225's stacked) if you have a switch experiencing the issue today and need a replacement today. Otherwise the tool will order you 210/225's once they start shipping next month. 

As @MerakiDave said - just keep in mind that the MS250's are gigantic switches. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Will an upgrade is always nice I would prefer to stick with the model I already have, some of them dont have much spare space in their cabinet so the MS250 won't fit.

Hey all,

Just chipping in here to say we have created a FAQ page on our Knowledgebase:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Support/MS225%2F%2FMS210-48LP%2F%2FFP_Proac...

This is following the advisory we released last month:

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/cisco-meraki-customer-advisories/

As @MerakiDave mentioned above, we have a software mitigation for devices that are not in the failure stage yet, so if you have concerns or you can see issues with the device, get in touch with us at your earliest convenience, so this can be applied for you.

Thank you all for your understanding and patience on this!

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels