MS-425 Copper speed

SOLVED
Mark-SPS
Here to help

MS-425 Copper speed

I'm trying to connect some devices to our MS-425 unit via a copper SFP. Devices running at 1GB connect without issue, but when trying to connect an older device that only runs at 100mb it does not connect. Same of course with 10mb.

I've purchased different copper modules according to the suppliers recommendations, but the replacements act the same.

Will the 425's slow down to 100mb or am I missing something?

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Most copper SFPs don't support speed negotiation.  Some allow you to manually configure the speed.  Some allow you to configure it and then it ignores that setting and doesn't work.

I'm not aware of any copper SFPs that support 10Mb/s.

Because I don't like grief, I would only use copper SFPs for Gigabit connections and get an extra copper switch for all the other stuff.  If it is a small number of devices you could use an MS1208LP.

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/switches/access-switches/ms120-8/ 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Mark-SPS : SFP data transfer rates can range between 10 Mbps to 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps). 10Gbps will not work. For 100mb you need to configure 100 MB speed on both side SFP.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Mark-SPS I don't believe the SFP+ ports on the 425 will work at anything less than 1Gbps, especially with the Copper transceivers.  The below options are from an MS355X SFP+ port

cmr_0-1631211908420.png

You might get a 100Mb fibre transceiver to work at that data rate.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Most copper SFPs don't support speed negotiation.  Some allow you to manually configure the speed.  Some allow you to configure it and then it ignores that setting and doesn't work.

I'm not aware of any copper SFPs that support 10Mb/s.

Because I don't like grief, I would only use copper SFPs for Gigabit connections and get an extra copper switch for all the other stuff.  If it is a small number of devices you could use an MS1208LP.

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/switches/access-switches/ms120-8/ 

Thanks to all that replied.

You've confirmed what I was expecting regarding the slower speeds.

I'll look into the MS1208LP.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We’ve hit this issue previously with MS-425’s.  A link to a customers PBX would not come up. Turned out it would only operate at 10mbps. Put an ms-120 in front of the PBX and the link came straight up.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Correct SFP+ to copper modules do not support anything less than 1Gbps. You will have to add in a small switch if thats a requirement. I found this out after trying to get a temp sensor to work. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels