225 and 210 48 port on hold

SOLVED
Gumby
Getting noticed

225 and 210 48 port on hold

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/cisco-meraki-customer-advisories/

Any thoughts on the ongoing issues with these fan controllers?  Just purchased another 2 of these on the assumption that the fan issues were rectified.

Had a few fail that were purchased some time ago, and Meraki refuse to pro-actively replace the others that were in the same batch.

Have we been replacing faulty units with other faulty units?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Gumby
Getting noticed

Looks like we finally got an answer!

Cisco Meraki has identified an issue related to a fan component in the MS225-48LP, MS225-48FP, MS210-48LP, and MS210-48FP switch models, which may affect their long-term reliability. We want you to have the best experience with our devices, so we will send you a free, redesigned, replacement switch. This new switch offers a more powerful, but quieter fan. The new switches will begin shipping in October.

We are continually monitoring your switches and will notify you if we see a high-temperature alert, which is an early symptom of a fan issue. In the meantime we can offer an interim software mitigation that can significantly reduce the likelihood of device failure for devices that have not had a high-temperature alert by increasing the operating speed of the fan. This mitigation requires both a firmware upgrade to MS 10.34 and above, and opening a support ticket. The tradeoff is that this mitigation will increase the perceived fan noise by approximately 40%.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Ugh they had an issue similar to this in the past where they had to ship replacements.  I haven't gotten any notices yet but it's likely coming down the road if they can't find a software fix. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Last summer I was (unfortunately) one of the first, if not the first, customers to identify the original fan issue with the 225 series. We had placed a large order of them and had about 2/3rd of them in production when we hit almost 50% failure rate. We ended up replacing the entire batch of them. 

It will be very frustrating if the batch we just put in production this summer has similar issues and will need replaced. One would think a single blower fan wouldn't be incredibly hard to engineer correctly in 2018. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
redsector
Head in the Cloud

Yes, I had to change some switches three times to get a good one.

We have had to replace one MS225-48FP so far, although we have just deployed more which is a worry. My concern is if this is caused by bad design and they are aware if it if a switch fails in 4 years time will it be replaced. 

It appears all of our MS225-48 now operate with increased fan speeds. 

Gumby
Getting noticed

Looks like we finally got an answer!

Cisco Meraki has identified an issue related to a fan component in the MS225-48LP, MS225-48FP, MS210-48LP, and MS210-48FP switch models, which may affect their long-term reliability. We want you to have the best experience with our devices, so we will send you a free, redesigned, replacement switch. This new switch offers a more powerful, but quieter fan. The new switches will begin shipping in October.

We are continually monitoring your switches and will notify you if we see a high-temperature alert, which is an early symptom of a fan issue. In the meantime we can offer an interim software mitigation that can significantly reduce the likelihood of device failure for devices that have not had a high-temperature alert by increasing the operating speed of the fan. This mitigation requires both a firmware upgrade to MS 10.34 and above, and opening a support ticket. The tradeoff is that this mitigation will increase the perceived fan noise by approximately 40%.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Oh no,

I got a  mail from Meraki that I have to replace 21 Meraki MS225-48LP switches.

But I am wondering why. I had to replace switch by switch the last 18 month because of the fan issue.

And now I have to do it again? Im worrying how to do that.

Mloraditch
Building a reputation

The why is because they originally thought they could fix the issue with software updates.

They now have figured out it's impossible to fix it correctly. Per the notice it can be mitigated with increasing the fan speed, but that makes the switches quite a bit louder and I'd imagine it decreases the lifespan of the fan to ran faster for longer like any mechanical part.

I know that the software updates didn´t helped.

So this is why I had to replace all these switches in the last month. The question now is: was this replacement resolving the issue or do I have to replace all the switches again. Until now I did´t have any temperature issues.

Mloraditch
Building a reputation

Check with support, it's not clear in what I've read so far.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@redsector The fixed switches will be available in October. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Gutted, all of the MS225-48FP units I installed 4 weeks ago now have to be replaced...... Thats a huge amount of work that I now have to try and factor in.

I wonder if they can sweetin the blow with a free MV device or something 🙂

Yes, I have to replace 21 switches in different locations.

That is not a good karma.

It would be really nice to get a license duration upgrade or something else.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels