Confusion around Meraki Security Cameras

SCC
Building a reputation

Confusion around Meraki Security Cameras

Hi All,

My client need indoor and outdoor security camera. i am not sure which model should i go for.

Pls can someone help me to explain in simple terms.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

can you add some more information?confused about?  IP rating, fixed lens,

WLAN, storage capacity?

SCC
Building a reputation

Confusion with the Various Models, which Model should i choose for Indoor and Outdoor

Indoor - MV32, MV22, MV21 and MV12

Outdoor - MV72 and MV71

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

The ones ending with a 2 are the newer generation. With the new Motion Recap feature and the optimized algorithms I'd go for those.

So outdoor I'd go for MV72, indoor for MV12 if I want something compact, but with a fixed lense, and MV22 if I want a varifocal model or more IR range. Then MV32 is a different beast altogether, the fisheye... I love it.

GeorgeB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Please note that the MV21 & MV71 are now End of Sale (EoS)

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/eol/MV21_MV71_EOS_Notice_Update.pdf

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I would go with the newer ones. A site walk through is your best option and see is panoramic might work best to eliminate multiple cameras in certain areas.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
EJN
A model citizen

By panoramic, do you mean MV32 which is 360 / fisheye view?

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
EJN
A model citizen

Just FYI, we purchased 100 cameras, 70 interior (MV22) and 30 exterior (MV72).

I have a handful of exterior locations which are well protected from the elements and I wonder if I can use an MV22 in those locations. This is something I will test and ask Meraki Support if I reach that situation (I may have too many interior and too few exterior; can I use an interior in those situations?).

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@EJN wrote:

Just FYI, we purchased 100 cameras, 70 interior (MV22) and 30 exterior (MV72).

I have a handful of exterior locations which are well protected from the elements and I wonder if I can use an MV22 in those locations. This is something I will test and ask Meraki Support if I reach that situation (I may have too many interior and too few exterior; can I use an interior in those situations?).

If you're within the temperature range, away from rain, humidity and dust I don't see why not.

Priesty
Building a reputation

MV22 is an indoor camera, its designed to withstand outdoor forces. The MV72 are IK and IP rated meaning they have been designed to work externally.

I wouldnt go mounting a MV22 externally as all it will take is a small amount of moisture and your cam is dead. The MV72 are a small heater builtin into them to stop fogging up and moisture as well.

SCC
Building a reputation

MV22 or MV32 which is better and why ?

Priesty
Building a reputation

Different cameras designed for different purposes.

It all comes down to what you are trying to achieve and why. To give you an idea, we recently deployed a whole range of MV32's and MV22's within a hospital. Hospitals obviously have dining areas and hallways. 

We used the MV22s at each end of the hallways (one at each end facing each other) which enables us to cover the entire hallway and capture events.

The MV32's are good for open / dining areas for example, as you can place them directly in the middle of the room and gain 360 view. A MV32 would not be suitable for a hallways, especially if you were mounting them at the door way entry for example, because you would see a wall on the rear and the image at the front, but the zoom wouldn't be there to identify individuals. The MV22's, we zoom them in slightly to create cross-over at each end.

The MV12W and N are also excellent options for door entries (especially if there are multiple entries), we actually usually deploy more of these then any other camera.

EJN
A model citizen

To add to what @Priesty said, one is not better than the other. Both are good and serve different needs.

I have 1 MV32 and I don't think I'll add any others. For most of my locations, MV22/72 are better suited. My one MV32 is in an open area to get a 360 view. It is cool to see a 360 (not just cool, but useful too).

I don't like that the default view with it in the Dashboard is in Fisheye mode and you scroll/zoom in to get the 360. I wish you could have a panoramic or 90/180 view by default instead of Fisheye.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Priesty
Building a reputation

yeah the mv32 split would be good for sure.

GeorgeB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Note that we don't support MV22 for outdoor deployments. Although the environmental conditions maybe benign, other factors can impact the quality of the camera's video or cause a failure. For example insects will try and get inside the camera and can cause a problem. Ants in your camera is not covered by the warranty ... 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.