PPPoE MX65 Settings

SOLVED
StuKoalaIT
Getting noticed

PPPoE MX65 Settings

Hi, I have a new MX65 connected to our bridged modem however I need to add a username and password for the WAN connection to work. I can find where to change the IP details to manual however can't find anywhere to change the connection to PPPoE.

After doing some research it seems to indicate that this needs to be done from the local admin page instead of the dashboard interface, is this correct? Would seem sensible to be able to change that through the dashboard/Uplink settings though.

I have tried connecting through my local network but can't seem to access the local page either, is it best to connect to the directly MX65 over ethernet and change the settings that way? I'm currently trying to connect locally through my laptop using the school's wifi, even tried on the school server but no joy.

Sorry if all the questions seem a little basic 🙂

Thanks,

Stu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Stu

You are right.

PPPoE configuration is possible only from the local admin page as of now.

Ideally you should be directly connected to MX over Ethernet to access the local admin page However this is accessible via LAN and WAN too.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Stu

You are right.

PPPoE configuration is possible only from the local admin page as of now.

Ideally you should be directly connected to MX over Ethernet to access the local admin page However this is accessible via LAN and WAN too.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @StuKoalaIT.

I would say no, it's not sensible for the PPPoE settings to be available in the dashboard. I say that because in order for that to be viable the MX needs to be connected to the dashboard to receive the config update. To be connected to the dashboard it needs to have an active WAN link. To have an active WAN link PPPoE needs to be configured. 

So you end up with needing PPPoE configured to configure PPPoE 😞

Just my $0.02.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

There is a chance that local device access has been disabled in the dashboard.  If you have admin access to the dashboard you should be able to confirm that.  Then you should be able to connect to the local admin page via wired.meraki.com or the IP address of the LAN interface.  

You may have catch-22 if local admin was disabled or password changed to something you don't know and now your MX can't update itself until you get PPPoE.  If that is the case you might have to factory default or better yet plug the LAN interface into a network that does not need PPPoE to change the password and allow local access and then try again.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Here is some info on using the local status page (and yes, you should plug directly into the MX65).

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

Hi, I am configuring the PPPoE of an MX84 with the ISP modem in bridged mode and a static IP.  I can access the Admin page from the management port and have setup the PPPoE user / pass as per ISP detail. 

I noted that all the resources i read / watch (YouTube) all have a dynamic setup or have a direct link option.  These are well covered. 

My question is when i setup the IP address for the PPPoE static should this be the WAN IP as in the other direct example it is set to the private IP address with the option of a gateway.

Mehodge

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels