Is there any detailed explanation or listing about pre-defined SD-WAN categories?

Kamome
Getting noticed

Is there any detailed explanation or listing about pre-defined SD-WAN categories?

Recently, I got question from end-user manager about Meraki SD-WAN policy. He asked me that whether Meraki can handle Windows Update traffic via Meraki's SD-WAN feature.

So I checked SD-WAN categories, and suddenly I've realized some of Meraki's pre-defined SD-WAN categories are quite vague. For example, I cannot sure that Windows Update is included in "Software Update" category. There's no detailed documentation about that.

I assume that I can get answer by opening case and ask about it to TAC, but it's inefficient to do it every time when I need to check. Is there any documentation or something that describes details about pre-defined SD-WAN categories?

3 REPLIES 3
Seshu
Meraki Employee

Re: Is there any detailed explanation or listing about pre-defined SD-WAN categories?

Hello @Kamome 

Are you talking about the content filtering categories or the Layer 7 Firewall Categories or Traffic shaping categories? Please provide some more detail about what you mean by SD-WAN Categories. Generally, to find a category to which a website or webapp belongs to, go to Security SD WAN -> Content Filtering -> URL Lookup tool and enter the url there (example apple.com, windowsupdate.com, ...). This will give the category under which a certain traffic type would fall. 

Let me know if you have any questions please. I can give more details if you could be more specific. 

Regards,

Seshu 

Meraki Team

Kamome
Getting noticed

Re: Is there any detailed explanation or listing about pre-defined SD-WAN categories?

It's this menu.

Kamome_0-1595308820279.png

Seshu
Meraki Employee

Hello @Kamome 

The specific details on any specific category or website can be provided by Meraki Support. Please reach out to Meraki Support and open a case so that your network can be specifically looked at and provide you more information in regards to it. 

If you would like to have these details in a KB, please submit a feature request for the same.

Regards,

Meraki Team 

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.