Intermittent Packet Loss on MX65

Solved
Kronos01
Conversationalist

Intermittent Packet Loss on MX65

We have a few users in a satellite office experiencing intermittent packet loss throughout the day. They experience it the most when on a Teams/Zoom call and are disconnected anywhere between 4-5 minutes. I can see that it spikes around 1.1-2% at most. We've already had our ISP test the modem and had good upstream/downstream signal. The firewall is up to date and has been rebooted since the issues started. We have not made any network config changes or hardware changes since the issues have started. I've thought about doing a packet capture however it's difficult to know when the packet loss is ongoing, since it is intermittent.

Kronos01_0-1728324588897.png

Kronos01_1-1728324637795.png

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Latency would show a gap if you dont have service for 4-5 minutes.

You have a default route in vpn? 

Are there no event logs

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Kronos01 , how are your users connected?  Wireless or wired?

How many users at this site utilising the MX?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Kronos01
Conversationalist

We have 6-7 users there daily, with all of them on Wifi. The firewall is connected by site-site vpn.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MX65 is recommended for around 50 client devices. Are you within that recommended threshold?

Are you using a site to site VPN at all? 

We have about 6-7 users there during the week, and yes, site-site vpn is being utilized. 

Dipen
Getting noticed

We had a same issue and still having it, We have tried reaching out to MX representative and according to them it's our ISP now when we reached out to our ISP they think it's our Firewall.. It's like never ending game to be honest.

I had a shell script that would continuously ping, tracert and store the results in Notepad - Maybe try doing that for a day and see if you get any timed out request?

Kronos01
Conversationalist

Cox Communications told us that it was beyond their scope, and to check our firewall also. The firewall is getting a bit older now so it may be time to put it in the 2025 refresh. It's still under warranty, so that may be the best solution until we're able to replace it with a newer MX.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For 6-7 users I’d be staggered if it’s the MX device that’s at fault here!

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you touch the power connecter where it is plugged into the MX65, does it cause a restart?  We had a number of MX65s where this fault developed and caused mysterious dropouts for a couple of minutes at a time.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Latency would show a gap if you dont have service for 4-5 minutes.

You have a default route in vpn? 

Are there no event logs

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels