DHCP Lease

JED2021
Getting noticed

DHCP Lease

MX250 running DHCP

Our lease for a subnet is 24 hrs

A host was on subnet 1 and has an assignment

I want it moved to subnet 6 via a tagged interface with VLAN6 set to native

It continues to get allocated the VLAN 1 IP address.

can you flush an entry?

7 REPLIES 7
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As the client has already been given an IP address, it will typically hold onto it until expiration.

It would be up to the client to request a new IP from the DHCP server.

Most operating systems will support this in one way or another but you'll need to log onto the client directly.

Worst case scenario, rebooting the client should also force it to pull a new IP.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you have simply changed to VLAN tagging on the port the client is connected to and have not physically moved the switch port its plugged into then you will need to renew the DHCP lease on the client itself. 

Easiest way would be the restart the device. 

no

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

command prompt

ipconfig /renew

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Or bounce the switchport that the device is connected to

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

no i tried this

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@JED2021 are you saying that shutting the switchport that the device is connected to did not get it to ask for a new DHCP address?  If so, then that device is not behaving as it should and needs to be looked at, as opposed to concentrating on the network infrastructure.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels