MultiCast

RobinGanderton
Here to help

MultiCast

Good friday afternoon all!

As the fall year approaches, I need to network image a whole bunch of machines.  I've got it cruising along pretty good at the moment.  Properly trunked, and aggregated, give me the band width I need to quickly network blast a computer image to a whole lab in about 3 minutes (16 machines)

It actually takes longer to reboot the machines to get to a login.

Anyway, in order to speed this up even further, I wish to turn on multicast.   That would lower the network overhead, even though it puts a ton of load on the switches.

On some older Cisco switches, you could isolate multicast on a specific vlan.  I am wondering if anybody has had good results doing so.

The idea being;  vlan x  - multicast addressing specifically for imaging.

Not a super critical issue, as its working pretty good right now;  

I'm hoping to be able to boot to desktop on some of these machines.  Or at least, boot to a different array of machines.

I was going to lose the hard drives out of the "Dumb" clients, but probably going to need some swap space.  The memory of said clients is pretty low.

Thoughts, ideas, concerns ?

1 Reply 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Multicast traffic should only go to those ports that subscribe to it.  It shouldn't go into VLANs without subscribed ports.  Though if you do keep everything in one VLAN you'll eliminate the need for something to do L3 multicast routing.

Have a read over this excellent post.  It covers some important things about using Multicast.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Multicast-Basic-s/m-p/25867/highlight/true#M2125 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels