Minor adjustments to the Endpoint Management board

CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Minor adjustments to the Endpoint Management board

Hi everyone!

We've been making a few adjustments to this board, in an effort to make the content as findable as possible:

(1) We changed the name! No longer are we "Mobility Management", but rather "Endpoint Management". This better aligns with how our product and marketing teams are talking about the subject.

(2) We have made "Labels" required for new topics. This will make content more findable and better-organized (we hope!). Please select as many labels as are relevant when starting a new topic. If you have suggestions for additional labels, please let us know on this thread.

Select as many labels as are relevantSelect as many labels as are relevant

(3) We have removed tagging. We think it's confusing to have both Labels (which are pre-created by the Meraki team) and Tags (which are entirely community-generated). Let us know what you think of this change - we're trying it out first here on the Endpoint Management board, and may remove tags across the entire community if the change is well-received.

Cheers!
- Caroline

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here
9 REPLIES 9
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I like the change, tags and labels make it somewhat confusing.  Labels could be handy in other sections.  But coming up with the labels is the hard part.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Some good improvements @CarolineS. Nice to see that the Forums are continuously improving every day I visit - Exciting! 

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

<rant>

Not another Meraki name for Systems Manager ...

So we have had:

• Systems Manager (as it is currently referred to on the web site)
  • EMM
  • Mobility Management (as it is currently referred to on the web site)

Not your fault, but I think Meraki is creating market confusion by rebranding this product every 5 minutes.  The branding is not even consistent on the public web site.

Lets test out how physic everyone is.  What do you think the next name for this product will be?

I'm thinking "Meraki Management" (or M&M for short - sounds sweeter already).

<ranting harder>

With regards to desktops, I think this product is going in the wrong direction.  I think it is way too far behind in that space.  Lets give up, call it "Meraki Insight Management Agent", use it to only collect telemetry data, and use that data to make the network smarter - such as enhancing Meraki Insight, and creating the ability to dynamically respond to events generated by things like Cisco AMP for Endpoints - allowing the network to dynamically apply group policy based on current machine state.

</ranting harder>

</rant>

@PhilipDAth - I’m not qualified to respond to most of this, but I will say I like “M&M!” Haha! 🙂

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

dilbert-integration[1].gif

End Point Management is management speak.

Whatever term is used for the product, it should not be misleading, so call it Frisky, by all means, but remember that if mobile is suggested, directly or indirectly, people will think more of handhelds, than laptops or workstations.

So perhaps a term that is more hygge or Gemütlichkeit  or inclusive, than the banal and threatening end-point management. I defy anybody to say End Point Management without appearing to suffer from blocked adenoids. Would Ricky Gervase be able to even speak the phrase aloud without cracking up?

The guy the mob sends round to collect the protection money is practicing end point management

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Next-gen Endpoint lol

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@PhilipDAth - I agree that the changes to align with industry terms (not Meraki terms) like MDM, EMM, and now UEM have been exhausting.

That's why we're trying to now stay away from 3-letter acronyms, no matter how hard the industry pushes them! MDM, EMM, and UEM have never been "Meraki" terms - we've just adopted them alongside "Systems Manager" (a name which hasn't changed in years) to help customers identify what kind of product this is 🙂

The industry is moving away from the term "mobility', because not all endpoints are mobile. We agree! Expect to see further alignment on our website/docs/etc coming soon! It's a process 🤷‍♀️

...and next year, when there is a new 3-letter acronym out there...we plan to stick with "Endpoint Management". 

@Melissawrote:

@PhilipDAth -

.we plan to stick with "Endpoint Management". 

Look at this from a User's point of view. To them their devices are not an endpoint, they are a start point.

I have had to live through Network management/network security disdain for end users for decades, describing their devices as end points just shows how little understanding there is for the people who are reasons why there are networks.

The problem is that when this attitude gets in the way of getting the job done, it takes a lot of very senior management to put the situation right. And those guys don't have much free time.

To the user, the product is a gateway. No users, no customers. Doesn't Meraki have its own branding consultants? If they are any good they take care of this sort of problem. Remember Ford branding one of their cars Pinto? Run that one past your Hispanic colleagues.

Have you considered Aloha 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

When you start a new topic in this forum now it is not particular obvious that you must select a label.  For example, I just did a post, and got back this error.

Screenshot from 2018-03-29 02-32-04.png

Then I remembered that labels are now compulsory.  I suspect other people posting in this forum who don't do this wont be able to figure out why their post is being rejected.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels