Feature Request - Set Device Name for DEP Devices

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Feature Request - Set Device Name for DEP Devices

Hello,

For a few of the orgs I help implement management for they request that the devices be named. This is cumbersome and slows down our near touchless enrollment. I know I have discussed this before here, but wanted to make it an official feature request and invite others to submit a "Make a Wish". It would be nice if we could set our DEP enrollments to set the device name with user info and device information from the information record of the specific device in the dashboard.

Currently, I am using the API to pull the data from a CSV from both AD and Meraki MDM and have it splice together to change the name of devices (thanks to @PhilipDAth for recommending this temporary solution). Unfortunately, even though this saves some time, it requires me to have to pull a CSV from both Meraki and AD once a week and sometimes even several times a week. Even then, I still have to go back and make edits if there are mistakes because this is not 100% accurate.

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'll Kudo up that suggestion.

WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hey @jared_f

Will the Supervised iOS restrictions for Keep Device name up-to-date not serve your purpose? I may be misunderstanding. It does also state that "The device name cannot be set from Dashboard if 'Allow modification of device name' is disabled." iOSNameRestrictions.JPG

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@WadeAlsup Yes, we have the restriction to reset the name to the factory when the device checks-in, but the issue is setting the names when the devices are set up. We would like the names to be the following format: User Last, User First - Serial #, but to do this it has to be set via the API or manually in the dashboard.

Ah, I hear you loud and clear now @jared_f

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂
Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jared_f! Quick question on this, does all of that info have to be in the device name? (User Last, User First, Serial #)

I ask because SM will pull all of those fields anyway, and you can add that to your main view on the Clients page. Users' names can be forced as the "Owner" if you either set it (manually through dashboard or through the API), or use User Enrollment Authentication. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/SM_Enrollment_Authentication

I do agree that mass renaming devices en masse would be easier if available through dashboard and not just the API - I'll submit that myself as well. (For folks on the thread that want this, please help by submitting it in the "Make a Wish" box in dashboard!)

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@Melissa That is currently how I set my dashboard and download the CSV. While I can see that specific info in my end we cannot set it as the device name. So until the device checks in with my server that device name does not change - unless I set it before the device goes through DEP and then it will be set as soon as the device enrolls.

We have been using enrollment authentication with LDAP credentials during DEP. This is nice because the devices get assigned to that user and the appropriate apps and profiles get scoped out. 

I also support the idea of a lock screen confiugration profile. Currently I am uploading manual profiles from Apple Configurator, but rarely are they personalized to the user they are assigned to.

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Ah I see! Thanks for the explanation.

Is the idea that if you can get all this info in notes, you would then set a manual profile that pulls "device name" on the lock screen? 

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@Melissa We would also like the option to enforce a lock screen payload that shows who the iPad is assigned to and also enforce the name under settings of the iPad. I am not near my laptop, but I do have some examples of what we are looking to do.

Jared

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Hi All,

In addition to enforcing/setting the device name under Settings > General > About. Here is the lock screen payload I have been manually creating in AC2 an uploading to Meraki. It would be nice if we could have this built into the SM settings and have it populate information about each user. For example, I would like ours to display:

Assigned to: Doe, John Device Type 

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 7.42.02 PM.png

This is what it looks like once installed on the device. 

IMG_0002.jpg

+1 for both these ideas (or should that be +2 then?)

1. Auto-fill device name from other fields in SM (e.g. user etc)

2. Lock-screen message profile pushable from SM.

Kudos to Jared again!

MarkDShelton
Conversationalist

This is a must do. Very annoying to have to do this manually. Also would like the Device Name and management information to be viewed on the lock screen of iPads.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Any word on this feature? It is still a top requested feature almost a year later. Are we still expected to do this via the API? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels