Why did Meraki Rename our Group Policy's ?

SOLVED
PeterJC
Here to help

Why did Meraki Rename our Group Policy's ?

This morning I get in to work to find no one can access the network from Meraki AP's as the 802.1X policy no longer matched any Network Wide Group Policy.

When I investigated this I found (from wireless) & (from appliance) had been added to all our Group Policy names & duplicated !!!

I am shocked that Meraki would do this & cause such disruption !!!

Luckily I was able to undo the damage by renaming them back to the original names, though due to having to delete the duplicates created by Meraki we have lost many devices which were manually give a policy override which will cause users further disruption & take a long time to resolve.

I am disgusted Meraki would do this to our organisation.

Screenshot 2021-08-12 102226.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Good day @PeterJC ,

I'm really sorry for the problems this caused you and the other users impacted. 

The issue should be fully resolved as of now. If you haven't got one already, please do raise a Support case via Dashboard, so we can get some more details on what happened there. 

Thank you very much for your patience here!

Giac

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Tim_Patrick_ADS
Here to help

Same issue, same work around solution. 

CoreyDavoll
Conversationalist

Yup, same here.  Lots of wasted time this morning.

Neb
Conversationalist

Same thing here.

Are there any notifications about this changing in their announcements?

Neb
Conversationalist

Spoke with Meraki Support and they notified that this issue is actively being worked on as a priority issue and no corrective actions are required on the customer networks. (If you can wait it out)

They mentioned it was a bug on the Wireless Group Policy implementation.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PeterJC  I understand your frustation but having the same post in three different areas is just as helpdful IMHO, theres no need to duplicate posts to gain more attention. 

Have you spoken to support at all, the community is not an official support method.

It was only meant to be two duplicate posts for the two area's that could have been the issue. The 1st was posted in error as that was where Cisco dumped me!

JoeBatAT
Conversationalist

Same issue here overnight last night. Some insight would be nice.

The assigned policies were renamed leaving clients assigned to policies that no longer existed.  Since then, these devices were connecting to a VLAN that they should not have been on.

Our Group Policies were duplicated twice--one "from appliance" policy, one "from wireless" policy. 

It looks now like we'll be spending some time fixing policy names and manually assigning devices back to the policies they were assigned a few hours ago.

We are also noticing that all of the affected clients are now assigned to the "Custom"  group policy setting and not the "Normal" or "Group Policy" setting they were assigned previously...  

JoeBatAT_0-1628802897916.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't seen this issue.

What shards did you experience this one?

GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Good day @PeterJC ,

I'm really sorry for the problems this caused you and the other users impacted. 

The issue should be fully resolved as of now. If you haven't got one already, please do raise a Support case via Dashboard, so we can get some more details on what happened there. 

Thank you very much for your patience here!

Giac

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!

I tried the UK Meraki Support: When I did eventually get through they put me on hold until I gave up waiting & I haven't heard back since! Complete waste of time. 

My support ticket online did eventually get a useless response & I will have to follow up with it.

I now consider our organisations Meraki's 'unsupported'.

Seems that other Meraki Support Techs are not aware - please see Case 06890611, opened 8/17/21. Tech is saying that I must have split a combined network - but that didn't happen.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.