Temp standalone MG21 in new office for WiFi

Solved
Nick_Todd
Here to help

Temp standalone MG21 in new office for WiFi

Hi all, I just wanted to get feedback on an idea. I have 2 MX95 firewalls (one cold standby), and a MG21E backup gateway in our office. We are moving office over the next 2-3 weeks. To get internet up and running quickly in the new office when we are still in the current office, I was considering if I can just take our MG21E and bring it to the new office. Then plug a basic home Wi-Fi / router into the gateway. This would provide some Wi-Fi internet in the new office for a few weeks until we get wired broadband services up and running.

How would the MG21E react if it lost connection to the MX95 where it is currently connected to WAN2?

Would the MG21E let me put a network cable from its LAN port to the 'uplink' port on a home wifi box? Would it need a cross over cable?

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That should work. Mx wan2 would just go down. You dont need cross cable

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That should work. Mx wan2 would just go down. You dont need cross cable

jbright
A model citizen

If the MX95 is powering the MG21E, you would need a power injector to provide it power in the standalone configuration.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.