30.7 Update Breaks RADIUS

jpeterprarch
Here to help

30.7 Update Breaks RADIUS

We just recently upgraded our eligible APs to 30.7 from 30.5.  Immediately afterward all 802.11 auth attempts to our RADIUS servers failed.  Thus, we rolled back to 30.5.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  I see in the 30.7 release notes a reference to a fix for RADIUS requests when if they had exited the primary management interface if an AMI was defined.  In our environment we don't have a AMI defined.

14 Replies 14
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What are you using for your RADIUS server?

We have upgraded our fleet to 30.7 and are using RADIUS authentication without issue.

ammahend
Getting noticed

I have 30.7 in production and a test lab on 31.1.2 no issues with radius, I am using Cisco ISE as radius.

can you share more information like, if you are seeing logs on radius and share the logs to understand why radius authentication is failing.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Exact same setup as @ammahend , running without any issues. 

WPA2-Enterprise , Cisco ISE reachable via AutoVPN.

We're using Windows NPS.  The requests never hit the NPS servers therefore there's nothing to see in the logs.  

Mark_S
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi jpeterprarch,

There is an issue in the 30.7 firmware, under very specific configurations, whereby client balancing rejects clients. This may be what you were seeing when you upgraded.

If you have not already, I would recommend raising a case with Meraki support so they can assist with troubleshooting this issue to help determine whether you were indeed affected by this.
Details on how to raise a case through dashboard or to call the support line can be found within the 'Get help & cases' page which is accessible in the ? icon menu in dashboard.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Ah, thanks.  I have opened a case and waiting to hear back.

skunkytoots
New here

30.7 broke Radius for my org as well

Brad39
Conversationalist

Hi ,

Adding to this as well, we have upgraded to 30.7 and have seen two networks with the same issue, generic Association errors with SSIDs with Radius Auth. Running Windows NPS. Will Raise a support ticket to investigate. 

I'd be curious to hear what you hear from support.  So far I have yet to hear back.

pjc
A model citizen

@skunkytoots and @Brad39 do you both have client balancing enabled on the affected networks ?  I've scheduled 30.7 upgrades for next week and we run NPS Radius but we don't use client balancing

Thanks

Yes we have Client Balancing enabled.  Perhaps we fall under "very specific configurations".

Brad39
Conversationalist

We have it on, however we tested turning this off to try and fix the issue but didn’t help

ChristianHenn
New here

We had the exact same issue. The only solution was to rollback.

pjc
A model citizen

I've decided to postpone my planned rollout of 30.7.  Although we don't use client balancing, @Brad39 stating that turning off client balancing didn't solve the issue is enough for me to be nervous about this, despite me running 30.7 in a small live environment (2 x MR44's) for the past week without issues with radius auth (my normal live test firmware update environment)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels