User unable to connect to SSID Splash Page

SOLVED
CBMontesclaros
Getting noticed

User unable to connect to SSID Splash Page

Hi All,

Would like to know if anyone here has experience our issue.

When user below opens her laptop every time she comes to office, she is unable to access the Splash page portal whenever it connects to any of the active SSIDs (Ex SSID1 SSID2) and to any of the active APs (AP1 and AP2). Note that both SSIDs are enabled on the 2 APs.

It is just weird since she is the only user that is experiencing this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey all,

What @CBMontesclaros advised is correct. The splash page is a result of a decision based of traffic intercepted by the MX/MR:

>>>Client connects and opens a browser 

>>> Client requests webpage (e.g.: google.com)

>>> MX/MR sees the traffic, evaluates the network the client is connected from and returns a splash page instead of the page requested

>>> Clients logs in via the splash page

>>> MX/MR forward the traffic to the webpage.

If step 2 does not occur (e.g.: open Internet explorer on the about:blank page), no splash page will be returned by the MX/MR.

@CBMontesclaros let us know if you are still having issues 🙂

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the user getting any error messages i.e. are the splash pages trying to load and she is getting errors or are they not loading at all?

Check her DNS, does she have any wierd DNS settings that don't match everyone elses?

Does she have any persistant VPN software thats take over her connection?

Hi BlakeRichardson,

As I have tried for a number times, splash page will try to load but it will end up to error connection.

I've already tried to flush the dns but still the same error. 

As far as I know, there are no VPN software installed on her unit.

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

Hope you have tried browsing on her PC enabling "incognito mode".

Also how about Packet Capture?

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

Hope you have tried browsing on her PC enabling "incognito mode".

Also how about Packet Capture?

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Adoos
Building a reputation

A proxy enabled by accident? Mac or Win? 

Make sure they aren't being hit with a policy either or blacklisted. 

Hi All, 

I've raised this to Meraki Support. As per their advise, I should try to access HTTP sites (eg bbc.com, etc) so traffic will be identified, that would prompt the Splash page.

Hey all,

What @CBMontesclaros advised is correct. The splash page is a result of a decision based of traffic intercepted by the MX/MR:

>>>Client connects and opens a browser 

>>> Client requests webpage (e.g.: google.com)

>>> MX/MR sees the traffic, evaluates the network the client is connected from and returns a splash page instead of the page requested

>>> Clients logs in via the splash page

>>> MX/MR forward the traffic to the webpage.

If step 2 does not occur (e.g.: open Internet explorer on the about:blank page), no splash page will be returned by the MX/MR.

@CBMontesclaros let us know if you are still having issues 🙂

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!

Guess my issue is already resolved! Thanks @GiacomoS and to everyone who gave their input! 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels