setup new switch

Merakibgp
Getting noticed

setup new switch

Hi I am trying to setup a static ip address for the new switch. but i am stuck at the step 2 below. i cannot open the page setup.meraki.com. any one has suggestion for this? i connect the switch to my laptop with RJ 45. is this good cable? thank you

Setting up a Static IP Address 

To ensure that the client PC is redirected to the local web service in the following step, you must disable all other network services (ex: wi-fi) on your client machine.

Do the following to configure basic connectivity and other networking parameters:

1. Using a client machine such as a laptop, connect to the management port of the MX.
  2. Using a browser on the client machine, access the appliance's built-in web service by browsing to http://setup.meraki.com. (You do not have to be connected to the Internet to reach this address)
  3. Click Uplink configuration under the Local status tab. The default credentials use the device serial number as the username, with a blank password field.
  4. Choose Static for the IP Assignment option.
  5. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway IP and DNS server information.
18 REPLIES 18
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You don't mention what model switch it is; but did you plug into the management port of the switch?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is your machine set to use dhcp, including for DNS?

Are you trying to set the management IP for the switch?  If so, you could just plug the switching into an existing working network, let it get a DHCP address, and then change it via the dashboard.

---"Are you trying to set the management IP for the switch?  If so, you could just plug the switching into an existing working network, let it get a DHCP address, and then change it via the dashboard."

here is a question:  I am trying to setup management ip the switch.if i plug the switch into our network, it would get ip address. but how can i know the switch ip address? although i can know the assigned ip address range, i cannot know its the assigned ip address for me to logon to it

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@Merakibgp wrote:

---"Are you trying to set the management IP for the switch?  If so, you could just plug the switching into an existing working network, let it get a DHCP address, and then change it via the dashboard."

here is a question:  I am trying to setup management ip the switch.if i plug the switch into our network, it would get ip address. but how can i know the switch ip address? although i can know the assigned ip address range, i cannot know its the assigned ip address for me to logon to it

Yes, you can. If you connect the switch to your network and allow it to pull a DHCP address, then the dashboard will show you the switch IP address on the device status page.

Merakibgp
Getting noticed

Currently the new switch is first Meraki at this location, all our network are non Meraki network at this location. Is it possible to see dashboard? I guess it is possible if it is connected to internet, right?

The new Meraki is MX450

If the new switch is plugged into Cisco switch, do you think the cisco switch port require special configuration? 

The MX450 is a Meraki Router/Firewall, you can use Internet Port 2 to plug into your network. It will connect automatically, grabbing an IP via dhcp. No need for special configs on your existing switch port.  When you see the bright "While/Blue" light on the status light of the meraki, then you should be able to see it on the dashboard. Make sure you have "Claimed" the device on your network using the S/N.

PS- I would used Internet port 2 initially to connect it to your network, so that you can then configure a static IP on Internet Port 1. 

Good point, Merakian

SnoopDoggyDog
Conversationalist

Hi,

I just had a similar issue and didn't know how to login here but its easy.

If you have local admin rights then.

You can find local credentials under Network-wide >> General >> Local credentials

and that's what you use to access setup site.

aki_newb
Here to help

If connecting to an existing the MX450 to an existing switchport (assuming Catalyst or other) to get an address via DHCP:

1. Be sure that the switchport is a member of a VLAN that has a DHCP pool set up.

2. Also, be sure that the port you connect it to is an access port and not a trunk port.

---"  1. Be sure that the switchport is a member of a VLAN that has a DHCP pool set up. "

This is new switch and we have not logged into it, how can we be sure that the switchport is a member of a VLAN that has a DHCP pool set up.? thanks

I was referring to the existing switch that you would be connecting the MX450 to.  Merakian's reply above clarifies what will happen when utilizing Internet 2 as opposed to Internet 1 on the MX.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@aki_newb an MX450 is a firewall, are you sure this is a switch?

Merakibgp
Getting noticed

it might be firewall. i am not sure. thanks. 

Good question CMR.  The OP titled the thread "Setup New Switch".  It is a fact that the MX450 is a firewall.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Merakibgp what are you actually needing to do with this MX450?  I'd start with plugging an SFP+ module into Internet1 and connecting that to a normal switch port that has internet access.  Once there it will connect to your Meraki dashboard (I do havepresume you a network set up and a code to claim that gives you the 1-10 years of licence for the MX450).  You'll need to create a network of type appliance and allocate it.

It sounds complex but actually it takes less than 5 mins from nothing to connected and ready to configure rules etc.

aki_newb
Here to help

Also, check under "Network-wide" > "General" in the dashboard to verify that the Local Device Status Pages Enabled option is selected in the drop down.

pauldavey
Comes here often

On the MXs that I've deployed, I've just connected to the Management port (not Internet 1/2), then gone to setup.meraki.com which has brought up the status page.

If it has connected to the internet and downloaded it's config and the option to allow local status page is indeed disabled, disconnect the internet port, factory reset it (using the pin hole) and do the above again.

Hope that helps

Paul

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels