port in switch disconnected sometime

Merakibgp
Getting noticed

port in switch disconnected sometime

Hi at Switch MS120-48, one port is disconnected sometimes. when we try to run packet capture, it shows some ip address there. can anyone tell where the ip address is coming from? please see the screenshot attached. Thank you

2.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

That is just an example/sample you have circled there.

Have you tried running a cable test from the port?

Can you tell us more about the problem and symptoms?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Yes you are right. I guess it is cable issue and needs to be replaced. please see the screenshot. any other can cause the issue? thanks

2.PNG

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yeah seems likely a bad cable.  You could try replacing patch cables first.  It could also be a bad NIC card or even a bad switch port, but cable seems most likely.

Did you actually run the cable test?  It will report back with specific bad pairs, etc.  

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Could also be the device has Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE)

the cable is running well now so we cannot get some error info at this moment

but when checking status history, why it show non color on this box on two hours? please see the below screenshot

2.PNG

and what is that meaning "Could also be the device has Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE)" ?

Gray means disconnected. If your port is connected and working well you may have run into a UI bug.

Energy Efficient Ethernet is described here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Efficient_Ethernet

I see the port speed of my desktop PC and my NAS go to 10mbps when they're turned off, the IPMI and WOL features make it do that. I've never seen a port go to orange because of that though.

It may very well be a cable issue (interference, bad contact, too long, ...).

I have got simmilar issues on MS120-8P switches in our shops:

There are two firewalls connected to the switch or to the switches. the Link of the passive Firewall goes down after hours or days. The firewalls are Dell SonicWalls. They say: no error of them, no power saving on the firewalls. But the link goes down. The link starts up again when I disable and enable the port on the MS switch(es).

The switches running version 11.22 or 11.27

@BrechtSchamp

at the same time point, do not know why it has two different color green and gray? please see the below

2.PNG 

above is Historical data for the last 2 hours

3.PNG

Yeah, you may have run into a UI bug. Is the situation still unchanged? Sometimes it takes a moment before the dashboard shows the correct status of port connectivity.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels