SC to LC

SOLVED
C3SGInc
Getting noticed

SC to LC

Anyone out there migrate from an older Cisco solution to Meraki and have to change from SC to LC connectors?  I have a customer with Cisco 3950 and various other Cisco switches using a Cisco WS-G5484 fiber connect and are planning to move to an all Meraki solution which will use LC connectors on the GBICs.  Curious how people have done this in the past.  I have a wiring vendor that has suggested an SC coupler to an SC/LC fiber patch cable, but seems a bit hokey to me.  

Anyone out there deal with this and/or have a good solution?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd get a fibre adapter plate then, you'll see that it is simply a plate with holes that hold the couplers in place and usually clip them on the back side.  Technically the same as just using couplers but a bit more secure and protected from accidental damage.

Or you could go the whole hog and resplice the fibre into a panel if they are multicore fibres, that way you could convert to LC if you prefer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just don't care as it is very often out of my control. The patch panels are often SC or ST, sometimes LC. The network-equipment is nearly always LC nowadays. It's just important to have enough different cables with the right connectors in you bag.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@C3SGInc I'd always go with the SC to LC patch cable as opposed to using the adapters

C3SGInc
Getting noticed

Have you found any patch cables that are SC female to LC male?  In the grand scheme of things, that is the hang-up.  The original install is not using a patch panel, so the incoming SC fiber connection is male. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd get a fibre adapter plate then, you'll see that it is simply a plate with holes that hold the couplers in place and usually clip them on the back side.  Technically the same as just using couplers but a bit more secure and protected from accidental damage.

Or you could go the whole hog and resplice the fibre into a panel if they are multicore fibres, that way you could convert to LC if you prefer.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

People use LC-LC or LC-SC patches all the time, no problems expected there.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Don’t see the problem here. Doing a job this weekend using SC to LC fibre patch leads.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Some of our panels are SC and others are LC, I prefer SC because it means in a bind if a installer mixes a pair you can swap an SC cable until its fixed. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels