New to Meraki - breakdown questions on new deployment

ContactGVC
Conversationalist

New to Meraki - breakdown questions on new deployment

Hi all-

We have a sonicwall NSA currently during physical routing with DellPowerconnect switches.

X3 on sw plugs into Dell Voice stacked ports. DHCP 192.168.168.x for phones

x4 on sw plugs into dell data stacked ports. DHcp 192.168.69.x for data.

No vlanning or zoneing on the sonicwall currently. All physically separated.

New meraki switches to replace Dell powerconnect.

We've stacked the replacement meraki's together with stacking cable. Shows good on the dashboard.

Goal:

Have separate voice and data vlan's with their own dhcp scopes.

----

Phones still need to have 192.168.168.x

LAN needs to have the 192.168.69.x

Phones can/most likely plugged into PC because of single room drops.

Have the phones get correct IP and data get correct corresponding iP.

Eliminate the x3 from the SW to the voice ports.  On have the Sw use port x4 into the meraki stack.

Can we have the SW hand off the x4 port to a port on the the main meraki stack, where each meraki port can get or send a Phone Dhcp, and Data dhcp, and no matter where or what we plug into the meraki ports?

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your patience in explaining this.

GV

8 REPLIES 8
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

i think you want to use a pc behind a phone? yes you can use 2 vlans , data and voice on one port.  make sure you phone runs lldp or cdp

ContactGVC
Conversationalist

thank you.
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

If we're just talking about the switches, then you just need to set the ports to access, and configure the correct data and voice VLAN. See this:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Configuring_the_MS_Access_Switch_for...

You can then plug the phones into a port directly, PCs too. Or you can plug the PC into the phone. Using the LLDP_MED protocol everything should then work automatically (assuming your VOIP phones support LLDP).

Also check this old deployment guide:

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_whitepaper_msvoip.pdf

And these troubleshooting steps in case you can't get it to work:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Verifying_Voice_and_Data_VLAN_tags_w...

Note: You're posting in the old MC forum. MC were Meraki's VOIP phones, but they have been discontinued. Maybe @CarolineS can move the topic to the switching forum where I think it belongs.

Great. Sorry about posting in wrong area. Please move me.

Thanks for this.

Followup:

I understand what you posted.

The phones are Allworx-

?: Do I have the SW do the DHCP with a virtual port(both for V+D and separate DHCP) so both phones and data get corresponding IP needs?

Thank you.

It seems like at least some of the allworx phones support LLDP and CDP. You'll have to check the datasheet of your specific model to be sure.

If you're using MS250 switches they can act as a DHCP server, the lower models can't. Some of the lower models can relay DHCP requests though.

You would define the two VLANs (a data VLAN and a voice VLAN) and setup DHCP for them:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/DHCP/DHCP_Services

For the voice VLAN you can also configure custom DHCP options if needed for your VOIP phones. See also this FAQ:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/VoIP_on_Cisco_Mer...

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

Note: You're posting in the old MC forum. MC were Meraki's VOIP phones, but they have been discontinued. Maybe @CarolineS can move the topic to the switching forum where I think it belongs.

Moved! Cheers!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

Hi all-

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the great informative links and info. Very useful and tried soaking it all in.

Going down the path(now) of having the ms250 doing DHCP for V+D and vlans(vlan96=data/vlan168=voice)

What i tried:

Tried having the Sonciwall pass through VLAN of 96(D) and 168(V) and individual scopes for each through the  X10 interface on the swall to the Meraki switch set to access port and have 96 and 168 assigned on that port.

Results:

The phone plugs in and gets the 168 vlan show up.

No dhcp is passing through to the switch from the SW. See's the device, but no IP assigned.

Swall x10 setup:

swVIX10.JPG

Not sure why the sonicwall is not passing through IP's via appropriate scopes down to the switch.

DHCP scopes pushing the 192.168.96.x range(data) and 192.168.168.x range(voice) through the swall x10 interface with is  connected to the meraki switch.

Since going down the potential route of having the ms250 handle VLAN and DHCP requests, I've run into this issue out of the gate.

Having Ip assignment error when setting interface IP for the DHCP section.

SW1x10_IP_error.JPG

Questions:

Current Ip of switch:

• IP:192.168.96.172
  • sn:255.255.252.0
  • gw:192.168.96.1

I tried different Ip's on different subnets, tried no ip - all with same error.

What am I missing? (embarrassed missing the concept on this...)

Other questions:

I see the reservations tab, but no scope option? Is that handled by the subnet mask native formulas?

(we need a scope on the Vlan96/data to be : 192.168.97.1-192.168.99.250) 192.168.96.1-254 is reserved

After setting this interface with 96(VlanData), then do i create another for 168(Voice)

Hopefully, this makes some sense.

Thank you all

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your subnet should not contain mask/prefix length but rather prefix/prefix length: 192.168.96.0/22
That is the first interface you make and should have next hop set towards the internet.

For your DHCP scope option, it's like on a Cisco router.

The scope automatically encompasses your entire subnet and you need to define excluded ranges (dhcp reserved ranges).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels