Break Stack L3 routing Move to new Network

Netwow
Building a reputation

Break Stack L3 routing Move to new Network

I encountered a unique situation where someone set up all stack switches in different physical locations but one dashboard network. Each stack had a 2 L3 interfaces. We wanted to segment the switches in the dashboard to individual networks. However you cannot move a switch stack from one network to another. Thus you loose all your L3 interfaces. 

What would be the most effective method to achieve this? 

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know if this will work, but you could try using the clone switch function.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Switch_Cloning

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Switch cloning is great, but only works within a single network. Cloning's the best for switch RMAs, though.

If you're trying to split switches into separate networks, I think you're going to have to go dashboard API or do it all manually. Removing a switch from a network wipes its settings.

You can use:

"List the switch stacks in a network" to pull down stack info, including serial numbers.

"List the switch ports for a switch" to get the switchport settings from each switch.

"List switch port schedules" if you're using schedules.

"List the static routes for this network" if you have L3 taking place.

Since everything is in a single network right now, you can loop through that network's device list and dump the results from above into a file.

Once you have the results of your list calls, you can use that to restore those settings onto a switch after it's been moved. You can also rebuild switch stacks if I'm reading the docs right.

If you can get fancy, you could automate most of this process.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels