Meraki switch mac address

Merakibgp
Getting noticed

Meraki switch mac address

Hi When we add a new Meraki switch to network, the first thing we can see is its mac address. My question is where the mac address is from? It is from itself port which is connected to its neighbor? or else? Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

from the switch. its used for things like the management interface and stp

Merakibgp
Getting noticed

Thank you for your reply. i agree with you. Which part of the switch is this mac from?

You don't supply enough information to answer that question.

Typically a switch (any switch) has a MAC address for every port.  Their is also a MAC address for each layer 3 interface.  In the Meraki case, the management address will also have a MAC address.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

It´s the management MAC-address.

You can see the address in the switches overview list, or in the inventory list.

sorry for the delay due to another project. so for switch like MS120-8 MS220 etc, is there a management port specifically? or just choose any one of them as management port? is this management port a uplink port? Thanks

I think all the Cisco Meraki switches have a management port except the 8 port models (might be wrong about the 8 port models).  The management port runs a DHCP server, and is designed for you to be able to plug a computer into to configure the rest of the switch enough to be able to get a connection to the Meraki cloud.  From there everything else is configured via the dashboard.  You would not plug the management port into the rest of your network.

To be more specific, the management IP address of a Meraki switch is used primary for connecting to the Meraki cloud.

This page outlines what can be done via the management IP address.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

@PhilipDAth correct the MS120-8 and MS220-8 do not have management ports. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels