Anybody have any experience troubleshooting CRC error issues across multiple switch ports? Seems to vary from day-to-day what ports are having the issues and it's across multiple OS and devices including an MR33, windows server 2012, WIN7 pc's, and more. Ran cable tests with no issues, I find it hard to believe that this many devices are failing to auto-negotiate correct speed/duplex settings or have failing NIC's. I also wouldn't think that this many devices would have corrupted files or errors causing it. Any help is appreciated.
Once had something like that with badly installed structured cabling.
Is there any commonality with the ports, can a couple of the cables in question be moved onto another switch to see if the problem moves with them?
What are your comments on Firmware? Hope you are running the latest stable Version.
If it was a regular Cisco switch and they were all ports serviced by the ASIC (usually groups of 4 or 8 ports) it would suggest an issue, but I haven't seen any info regarding the actual hardware of Meraki switches and the faults we have seen tend to be really obvious, or software issues (so far.)
Has the issue just started without warning, has a small issue got worse, has anything changed or is it a new install?
It may not hurt to give the Meraki helpdesk guys a call and ask them if there are any known issues.
I would consider getting a real cable tester on some of those cables (like a Fluke). CRC errors are almost always cable issue in my experience and the Meraki cable test is only very basic and would not show electrical interference issues I don't think. Is there any heavy machinery or equipment that could interfere? Good luck and let us know what you find out.
You could try moving some of the cables to ports in a different group (I think they are in groups of 8/16). You also may want to try a spare switch if you have the option to. Wouldn't hurt to eliminate variables.
As a means of testing whether its a cable fault can you simply connect one of the devices on an affected port using a long patch lead instead of your exsiting cabling and see if the fault goes away?
Thanks for the input gents, I have to find time to go onsite to test cabling with our tester. I don't forsee cabling on 20 different ports being the issue but just to eliminate variables I understand the need for testing. If that all tests fine I will try moving these devices onto ports 1-24 on switch to eliminate a hardware failure on the 2nd ASIC as all on 1-24 appear fine.
I don't suppose you know of any doc that lists the ASIC layout for Meraki switches as it's proved valuable multiple times for Cisco issues
Start at layer 1 and work your way up.
9 times out of 10 it will be the patch lead, structured cabling or your wall outlet. I would suggest a decent fluke/netscout cable tester.
If your on site, connect direct into the switch port with a brand new patch lead. We have had bad batches of patch leads before also.
We had this same issue with a MS-120-48 port. There weren't any reported issues, but we swapped out a few cables and the errors were still showing up. Meraki ended up sending us a replacement and that device has been error free.