225-24 total PoE failure

Gumby
Getting noticed

225-24 total PoE failure

So my next lot of grief with the 225 switches... I've now had my second PoE failure on the 24 port model.  All PoE devices lose power, and in the dashboard it shows the power icon but network disconnected.

Cycling does nothing.  Give the switch a hard reboot and PoE is non existant.  Doesn't even show under the 'Power' tab.

Anyone else experiencing issues or am I just having a run of bad luck?

8 REPLIES 8
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Haven't experienced that but if you've had even one POE failure on the switch then it'd be best to RMA and swap it out.  It is usually an indication of more failures to come. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

If I had to guess, I would think it may be related to this: https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Support/MS225%2F%2FMS210-48LP%2F%2FFP_Proac...

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I take that back since the -24 model is not listed as affected.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is highly unusual.  I would be looking at what is supplying power to the switches.  Can you put in a UPS or surge arrestor ?

This is rare - but I once had issues in a high rise building with network cabling running around the outside edge of the building.  The cables would induce charges from nearby lightning strikes and static charges from constant wind.  It used to keep killing NIC cards in machines.  Had to recable the building so all the cabling ran towards the centre to fix it.

Cabling running to outside APs also carries a similar risk.

I would say a faulty controller board. Given you said this is your second failur what environment are these installed in, is it dusty or damp? 

As Phil mentioned is the device connected via a UPS as a bac input supply could kill the unit. Also make sure the UPS filters the power and isn't just a battery backup. 

No UPS on either switch, but different locations 30km apart.

Failures haven't happened during storms or other weather events, just normal days (and cool here at the moment).

I would have UPS on them. Are they rack mounted on just sitting on a desk or shelf?

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Maybe it´s the old software version. I had trouble with v9.x. With v10.3x I have less trouble.

regards

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels