2*MS425 Stacking or VRRP?

SOLVED
Eddy_X
Here to help

2*MS425 Stacking or VRRP?

I have a traditional Cisco HSRP setup with two Cisco6509E acting as the core. Now we are going to replace those 2 Cisco 6509E with 2 MS425. I am trying to figure out if I should use stacking or VRRP.

Option1, physical stack with 2*MS425

Option2, VRRP between two MS425

If I do option2, I guess the network topology is simply a one-to-one replacement from Cisco6509 to MS425. From what I understand, the VRRP can not be created between the stacked switch. So, that means the VRRP can only be done between 2 of MS425. I only have 32 SFP+ on each of them. What if I need more SFP+?

Eddy_X_1-1625008304700.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I do option1, I can stack these two MS425 like the topology. So my question here is, do I get redundancy like VRRP from the core stack? My understanding is the STACK has one IP that will be acting as the L3 gateway. So if one of the switches in the stack failed, is the L3 gateway still be working fine?

Eddy_X_0-1625008237415.png

Thank you everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@Eddy_X I'd go with the stack option. You are correct that there in only one Layer 3 gateway per VLAN, but in the event that one switch in the stack fails then the second will take over and the network will continue (there may be a tiny outage while the stack reconfigures to accommodate for the failed switch). The other benefit of the stack is that the down-links to the access switches can be configured as aggregated links (LACP) across the two switches so that you get the benefit of the full bandwidth of both links under normal operating conditions.

Since you're using MS425 the stack is created using front panel ports, commonly the 40Gbps ports (but you can use 10Gbps ports if you want). One of the benefits here is that you can use most Meraki SFP/QFP modules so you can actually extend the stack across multiple racks, or even multiple rooms (or buildings) if you have the structured fibre in place to achieve this.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@Eddy_X I'd go with the stack option. You are correct that there in only one Layer 3 gateway per VLAN, but in the event that one switch in the stack fails then the second will take over and the network will continue (there may be a tiny outage while the stack reconfigures to accommodate for the failed switch). The other benefit of the stack is that the down-links to the access switches can be configured as aggregated links (LACP) across the two switches so that you get the benefit of the full bandwidth of both links under normal operating conditions.

Since you're using MS425 the stack is created using front panel ports, commonly the 40Gbps ports (but you can use 10Gbps ports if you want). One of the benefits here is that you can use most Meraki SFP/QFP modules so you can actually extend the stack across multiple racks, or even multiple rooms (or buildings) if you have the structured fibre in place to achieve this.

Rick_Nceatt
Conversationalist

In your case (in the same location), I think stacking is better, which provide a bit faster fail-over time than VRRP, also, it uses less IP addresses.  Keep it simple and solve the problem.

I guess stacking is the way to go. Thanks.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Eddy_X : Well i will go with Stacking. 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Eddy_X , I’d sweat the 6509’s till they ceased working as they’ve always served us well. Sad day when you decommission those.

In all seriousness and as others have stated go for the stacking model.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks @DarrenOC ,6509 is definitely a great great product. We had no issue at all in the past ten years. The only thing is that we had two and one of them is water damaged and we could not get it replaced. Also, the MS425 has been purchased, and I do not want to leave it just in the storage room.  

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also note that on Cisco Meraki when you use VRRP it disables other things, like OSPF.  With a stack, all the features remain usable.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The only downside of using a stack is when you do a firmware upgrade both stack members need to reboot at the same time.  So you will get an outage.

If you are able to schedule in a 5-minute outage window every 6 months for the firmware upgrades the stack is the better option.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels