Voip traffic shaping

SOLVED
Frank1
Comes here often

Voip traffic shaping

I want to have all voip phones to have a high proity on meraki MX 13.28 

However, the document ithat I am following is not the same on the interface

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_Shaping_Settings

As exaple step4 there is no 7 (WMM Voice) choice

another step 7 under p2p is no gamming there a gamming by it self but not sure which to choice

Is there anothe link I should be looking at thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ben
A model citizen

Hi,

I have traffic shaping for voice setup like this.

2018-08-02 16_40_47-Window.png

You can select more than 1 Definition so you can select Gaming and P2P in 1 rule.

So select all Gaming and All peer to peer.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Ben
A model citizen

Hi,

I have traffic shaping for voice setup like this.

2018-08-02 16_40_47-Window.png

You can select more than 1 Definition so you can select Gaming and P2P in 1 rule.

So select all Gaming and All peer to peer.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

That's awesome @Ben, we have our rule setup identically.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Ben
A model citizen

@Adam wrote:

That's awesome @Ben, we have our rule setup identically.  

Something about great minds think alike..?

Haha!

BeatIT_es
Conversationalist

Same rule here! ✌🏻
But I was read that DSCP tagging needs a switch capable of (Meraki MS only?) or will have no effect. I bet Priority doesnt...
Frank1
Comes here often

Thankyou just one more question does the firewall need to reboot or effect production in anyway once hit save 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@Frank1 wrote:

Thankyou just one more question does the firewall need to reboot or effect production in anyway once hit save 

No, I can't recall any settings in the dashboard that result in a reboot of the MX.  Especiall those related to traffic shaping.  One thing to keep in mind.  Sometimes it takes a bit for traffic shaping rules to be realized since the original streams have to timeout.  A manual reboot of the MX would force those old streams/sessions to timeout. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
LoriAyn
Comes here often

Hello,

We have similar traffic shaping rule setup on MX64 to handle voip traffic.  We migrated to hosted voip about 4 weeks ago adding that traffic to both existing sites using MX64 appliances.  We've encountered problems, at both of our sites, since migration.  The Avaya phones intermittently re-register and retrieve their settings...If this event occurs while phone in conversation all ability to manage the call is gone... (conversation continues however ability to manage call is lost.  Cannot transfer, conf, forward, hang-up etc....)  Our phone vendor believes the problem to be result of poor jittery internet connection or MX configuration which is not optimum for VOIP traffic. I'm still in the process of eliminating what IS NOT contributing to this behavior while pushing on noise found on internet paths.

Anyone have input into best configuration to shape voip traffic on MX64?  To avoid the behavior in one of the buildings we're moving VOIP Traffic in/out of building over different internet path.  This means we've also isolated Data/Voip.  This solved issue in one building and results would appear to indicate the problem to be exclusively quality of internet connection, however can't rule out the separation of Data and Voice as the real solution.  (Noting that Data is remains uninterrupted on same internet path were VOIP was encountering all kinds of trouble.) Of course VOIP traffic less forgiving to jitters or poor internet connections.  One distinction between the traffic shaping screen shot posted and our rule are the limits on bandwidth for VOIP traffic set to 5Mbps rather than unlimited. This would seem most important, however other building with same behavior had no traffic shaping rule and still encountered same problem phones reregistering and retrieving their settings.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

The problem could be the UDP timeout on Meraki (that you cannot change) You should be able to adjust the timer on your Avaya gear to be longer though to try to resolve this.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

What is the default UDP timeout on Meraki?

I got an answer to this in case it helps anyone. default UDP timeout on meraki is 300 seconds

Happiman
Building a reputation

I found the flow prioritization is ineffective or not working when I wanted to fix the VoIP call quality. You will have to limit other traffic flows under certain % of your given bandwidth from ISP

How do these custom rules compare with built in Default Rules for traffic shaping?

Good point! Those custom rules were before current Default Routes at some fw version upgrade reckon...
Not sure if they both do the same thing or event necesary any more...
Ben
A model citizen

Hi Richard,

the "default" traffic shaping rules were not there before, therefore we had to create them manually.

Cheers,

Ben

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels